1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss Bass Synthesizer SYB-5 recommendation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderitter, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I returned my SYB-5 today having received it on Saturday mail-order.

I very rarely return gear but I was disappointed with its performance.

I've been using a Boss Octave pedal for years, so I'm used to the stability 'issues' with these sort of pedals, but I found the SYB-5 to be extremely unstable. I spend a good couple of hours working with it but it didn't really give me a lot more (certainly not $159 more) than my Octave pedal.

So my recommendation is that you should try one before you buy one. I bought mine sight-unseen as I couldn't find any local shops with one for sale. I think I now know the reason why!

2. Yes, it's tracking is abysmal. It took me a good few years of taking it out of the closet, dusting it off, plugging it in, hating it, tossing it back in the closet, waiting a few months, and then going through the whole process again untill I finally learned to accept its major faults and learn what it can do well.

That said, whoever decided that pedal was market-ready needs to be slapped upside the head.

3. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    My bad and apologies for posting this in the Bass section. I thought I was posting in the Effects section, to the extent that I'm now wondering "what the France?":D

4. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I did read quite a few on-line reviews with folks loving the pedal, hence I thought I'd buy it sight unseen. It's clear that the reviews I read were not the most helpful, at least for me!

5. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

Dec 17, 2008
    I made the mistake of buying a boss synth a few years back, needless to say i didn't keep it very long.

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    The digitech tracks better but, to my ear, doesn't sound very good. I sold mine not long after buying it.

I'm currently using the synth patch on my BNX-3, which, while imperfect, seems to work well enough.

7. lol.we should start a "people that bought the SYB-5 and returned it club".i too bought one about a month ago.brought it back within 4 days.i didn't think it was a bad pedal or anything,nothing special,but it turned out that i really needed the money more than the pedal,so i brought it back.
    the worst part of the whole thing is that the stupid lady at the daddy's junky music sent my check to the wrong house,making me wait an extra 2 weeks just to get my money back :mad: