1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss BE-5B?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wetzelman1, Oct 12, 2009.

1. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

Feb 12, 2009
    anyone heard or used one of these guys before. I have an opportunity to buy one but not try it out. It seems to have a few things I'm looking for and the price is fantastic but I don't need it if it's going to be crap. If anyone can throw their knowledge in on this one it would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.bossarea.com/other/be5b.asp

2. armourv31s

armourv31s

Oct 15, 2009
    Is a pretty cool device - love that the effects are independent, relatively noise free operation ...... too bad BOSS does not make em like they used to. Only drawback is plastic housing/pedals - you can gig with it, but don't beat on it like you would an MXR or other all metal stompbox.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I used to own one, years ago. It's actually a bunch of pedals stuck together so each part sound good.
    Very efficient and straight to the point, a tad noisy because of chained gain stages.
    Limiter does the job, EQ is awesome, dist is basically a SD-1 so a bit thin but you get a dry blend to correct this. The modulation/delay section is basic and sounds ok, much like independant Boss pedals.
    Well worth the price it usually goes for (roughly 60-80 €).

4. Doan Astrian

Doan Astrian

Mar 14, 2016

limiter review of BE-5B

5. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    I bet Zoom B1on does things much better than this and perhaps cheaper too, if you don't mind use digital device.

6. I have owned and used one for 30 years. The older BOSS effects are really good. The chorus/delay can simulate a decent fretless sound. The distortion is not very versatile. The 10-band EQ is practically worth the price of the unit. And the limiter does its job. Also has a headphone out, so can be used for private practicing.

CONS: It is not programmable like later effects pedals; so no presets. It is manual adjust only, so if you want to use different delay/chorus/flanger settings, you will need to kneel down, and dial them in between songs to change. Not battery capable.