1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss BF-2 white knob internal trim pot levels

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Oreomeister365, Aug 15, 2012.

1. So, a while back I opened my BF-2 up and without knowing exactly what I was doing, I fiddled with the trim pots. (sounds dirty)

At least one knob has a very narrow range with which it works, but as for the others...

I was wondering if anyone either wrote down the stock values, or has a picture of where they reside on their BF-2.

I realize it may be slightly different per flanger but gotta start somewhere.

2. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

Wow. I've opened up pretty much all MXR and EHX pedal I've owned in the last years and some that were not mine but my brother's (to the point that he one time called me "the surgeon"), but I never thought of doing this to a Boss pedal. I have a few left, so I'll get to it :hyper:

Generally speaking, when a trimpot is to be triffled with, the maker will indicate so much in the litterature. When not specifically indicated in the said litterature, common wisdom picked-up on TB inclines me to think that they are not to be touched, unless X marked the spot.

I can't answer your question unfortunately, but If you improved the pedal's performance by your actions, kudos to you, it'll take away whatever inhibitions I had.

:)

3. In my experience, the two trimpots that are closer together on the circuit board are already calibrated and shouldn't be messed with. They are calibrated for the flanged effect to be in phase, so if you mess with them, the effect disappears and all you hear is the dry signal. The third trimpot, closest to the "top" (by the power adapter input) of the board is for the regeneration knob. That is where the magic resides. If you crank it clockwise you get this weird, psychedelic swirling oscillation. Take it back a little so it isn't dimed and it creates a musical ring mod-like flange.

This pedal will never leave my board!