Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss BF-2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chips, Jan 23, 2006.

1. gday guys.

Well i just to lounge guitars (north of perth for you aussies) and he had a whole lot of these. I had my EHX octave multiplexer in the car and we traded.

I have had this pedal for about half an hour, and its damn sweet. I never really liked boss, but this pedal is an exception. Its a simple to use flanger, which can get jet swooshes with distortion, eerie modulated reverbs and nice flange effects. Nails the 46&2 sound, that being because its Justin Chancellors flanger of choice.

This pedal is a tiny bit noisy, but no that much, i will be running it in a true bypass looper soon anyway. Not much else to say, but this is a great little pedal.:hyper:

Anyone care to share you settings?... at the moment i have mine
    Manual : 11.30 o'clock
    Depth : 3 o'clock
    Rate : 10 o'clock
    Res : 12 o'clock

Peace
    Blake:bassist:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    One of my favorite pedals out there, and I hate to say it, I prefer the Taiwanese version, not the Japanese one that people are charging and arm and a leg for. They can be either subtle or rather funky, swirly and in your face. I love 'em.

Need another one for the pedalboard though.

3. my only concern is that u can hear flanging the hiss... which is annoying. If i run a NS-2 infront will that help? I think i may go through my entire rig to find out if the hiss it is flanging is from the BF-2 or not...

4. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Should do....

5. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I'd also be interested to see some different settings people here use...I've had mine about 3 years, and I'm still not completely sold on it.

6. While im sure there are much better units out there, these are great for the price. And boss, even though they can suck tone or be noisy, they are consistent and reliable

7. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I have a Boss Chourus...no tone sucking there. My Tuner sucks tone though...all of it!

Actually...there is a BF-2 up for sale near me. They want $60...sound good? Do you think a trade for a Digitech Bass Synth Wah or a EHX/Sovtek Small Stone would be worthy?

8. I traded my EHX octave multiplexor for one....
    the BF-2 was $120 AUD, so about $100 US... go and try it, then try trade the sovtek

but the BSW is worth more then a BF-2.....

9. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    You think theSynth is worth more....hmmm. So how much do you think it would be worth cash? Sorry to derail but I was also thinking of trading the both of them for a Sansamp BDDI.

10. Well personally, i wouldnt trade a BSW for a BF-2....
    I would estimate (by the place i traded mines pricing) you could buy a used BSW for $150 - $180 AUS....
    Sovtek for probably $80-$100 AUS...

Would you be trading at a shop or privately. Coz a shop will give u about $30-$50 less then what its worth coz thats how they make money....

11. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Yeah trading at a shop unles someone comes up with one for trade here. I can't sell here cuz i'm not supporting member.

12. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    The NS-2 works perfectly - it truly completely elliminates audible hiss IF you use the loop-out feature - THAT'S the trick!

I run huge compression, and often a distortion on top of that! My fuzz sound is completely unuseable without the NS-2 - uncontrollable feedback-squeel, and hiss that's nearly as loud as full-force plucking. With the NS-2, clean playing, and a little scrunchy-mute near the nut - it's not-only studio-quiet and super-tight, but I can even pluck a note, and let the string naturally die-out with a completely natural decay. It's amazing.

Another thought: I've heard about user-adjustable trimmers (three of'em?) in the BF-2 - This means that depending on how those are set, one person's front-panel settings may not give the same result to another! Keep that in-mind.

Joe

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If youre patient, you'd be able to pick one up for about $40 plus shipping. I see 'em go anywhere from about $45-65 regularly in good condition.

I see Digitech BSW's go regularly between $50-65 used.

EHX/Sovtek Small Stones I see pretty regularly sold for $45-$60 ish.

Make your own decision there.

14. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    BF-2, Bah. :spit:

Danelectro Psycho Flange...not exactly versatile, but the thickest flanger I've ever heard that's not coming from a rackmount processor.

15. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    ive got a japanese bf-2b(flanger) and a taiwanese ce-2b(chorus). they are both at about 15 years old and still work great. and they sound pretty good. all the talk about distortion lateley, my favorite distortion was my orange boss distortion pedal(the regular guitar one). i used to run it through a boss t-wah and it was awesome.

i guess what im trying to say id that the boss flanger is a good pedal and i would reccommend one. it sounds really good with some distortion as well.

16. i just realised mine is the taiwanese model :)

HOLY CR@P :eek: ... this is my 666th post.... Satan becomes me!!!!! :meh: