Boss BF-3 flanger

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KB, May 12, 2002.

1. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Has anyone tried or owned a Boss BF-3 flanger (the newer one with the bass input?) If so how does it sound? I am just beginning to look into the flanger/phaser market (I used to have an original small stone phaser, but I wanted something a little more). Let me know your thoughts on the BF3

2. sounded pretty cool and did have some great features... tap tempo and panning was cool (but i dont have a stereo setup). i dont think im going to replace my bf-2 with it since its not a very big difference in sound (i think the bass input is bs). just not worth it to replace i think but would recommend new for a pretty damn good flanger.
  3. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    You know, I was wondering the same thing, luckily I searched first. My next pedal is either gonna be a Boss CEB-3 or the BF-3, so I was wondering what the BF-3 sounds like. I was dissapointed that my favorite store did not have one, but I did play it's older brother, the BF-2 and it sounded pretty good, I just didnt have enough time to find out what the hell the knobs were for. But I'd also like any opinions on the BF-3.
  4. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I nicked my guitarists and it sound lovely. you can get all sorts of subtle sounds through to weird sounds. A good feature is the 'Momentary' function, where the effect is applied only whilst the pedal is kept pressed, allowing you to use it for little fills etc. Im interested in buying one but not until I try a PH-3 Phase shifter.
  5. pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    i was in my local sam ash when a guy from roland showed all of its features. it is really good sounding. very full flange. i like its tone much better than the bf-2. i am really aching for one.

6. Is there any sites that have examples of bass pedals, that would be the best thing cause there's loads of pedals out there i aint heard.:(
  7. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I like the Bf-3 a lot, I use it quite often. The Gate/Pan is my favorite feature, but I don't use it in stereo, I use it in Mono mode, and I can get some sweet Tremelo style sounds, and some almost Ring Modulator tones with Rate knob set around 2 o'clock. A really cool, useful pedal.
  8. dirtytone

Nov 9, 2012
    I picked it up the bf3 today. 75$. I really like it.. Especially the momentary setting. It's my fav for fills and spills and what not. A great lil pedal. I never used the older brother bf2 but if its anything like this one it's a good buy..
  9. Hi i used a BF 2 thru the 80s n 90s for bass and its the best Chorus/Flanger unit ive used..i turn the Resonance off and its gets a great Chorus sound...i had a Ibanez Chorus too at the time but it too wishy washy..later on in the 80s i bought a hi band Boss Flanger but that didnt sound as good as the BF2 so i sold it....hopefully the newer BF3 is as good..ive still got my BF 2

10. I use the BF3 and like it a lot. Another +1 for the gate/pan setting in mono, sounds cool, sort of like tremolo superimposed on the flanging. I also don't think the bass input is BS, it really helps keep the low end a lot (I am not sure if it really high-passes the effect or just boosts the low end a touch, thinking it may be the latter). I did find the extreme flanging settings to be too much, normal flanger works just fine for my use. Sounds nice and watery on its own, put some dirt in front of it and you get more "jet sounds" out of it.
  11. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I thought it was cool. Wish I wouldn't have taken it back. The gate feature was sweet! It's worth the money for sure IMO. I like the MXR BCD that replaced it but I wish I still had the boss BF3
  12. JacobJohn_CS

Mar 31, 2013
    I bought one a while back and its never coming off my board. from really deep flanging effect like 46&2 to tremolo sounds or just accents on runs it can all be done with this thing. The different modes are what really won me over. Being able to momentarily turn it on and off gives it ultimate usability even in the most subtle of phrases.
  13. dirtytone

Nov 9, 2012
    +1 for the momentary setting..
  14. fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    my 2 cent: i did not like the volume spike of the BF-3 ... sold it.
  15. Ifriff

Feb 7, 2011
    I have a bf-3. I like it. It's a very versatile flanger. Never noticed a volume spike with mine. The bass input does work better for bass. That's what it's there for.
    Did someone mention 46 and 2?!!!! This pedal along with a chorus like the CEB-3 nails it for the intro part!
  16. I prefer the BF-3 to the BF-2. I do not find the Bass input to be BS, as compared to the BF-2. I like and use the Gate/Panning to get a fast chopped trem superimposed on the flanger effect. I also like the separate Manual and Regen controls (of course the BF-2 has those as well).

It's functional, but not amazing sounding in my opinion, not like, say, the Polytope is to a Boss Chorus, where the sounds of it soloed is so beautiful (sound of Boss Chorus soloed- meh). But the BF-3 is solidly functional, especially for live playing.

The volume boost: it's there, and you'll need to work with it. Or maybe it's a deal-breaker. I find I really like it when I am using the flanger by itself, it works great and helps keep the bass present in the mix.

The volume boost is more problematic when stacking the flanger, in particular on top of OD/Fuzz/filter, where the BF-3 sometimes has big trouble exacerbating the filter's resonant peak. The resonant "woof" can be cool, but often it is just unruly and too much.

I've switched to the Polytope after OD/Fuzz/filter the vast majority of the time, and use the BF-3 alone or after OD/Fuzz in a non-synth context.