Boss CE-20 Chorus Ensemble

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rickbass, Aug 29, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Since Paul is going to be revamping some of the TB pages and no formal gear reviews will be accepted for a while, I thought I'd just offer some top-line in impressions of the Boss CE-20 Chorus Ensemble since some TB'ers expressed interest in trying it.

- 4 programmable setting presets
    - very sturdy metal casing
    - well-intentioned parameter control with Ambience, Depth, Rate, Brilliance, High/Low Boosts, and a Level control

- Various "Modes" (types of chorus) are either so similar as to seem redundant or simply have no effect because they are designed for guitar
    - Chorus sounds have that typical, very metallic "ringing" that plagues Boss choruses, IMO
    - Knobs have too much "slop/play" in them. They don't give a hard "click" when turned to a new position so it can be hard to tell if setting changes are actually engaged (or impossible to see in low lighting situations)
    - User manual is written in somewhat confusing "Japanese-English" apparently by engineers (not as bad as Korg, though). English-speaking users will encounter some words they never saw before.

I was hoping for a unit with a few distinctive bass chorus "voices." But the settings that affected bass only offered subtle nuances an audience wouldn't pick up on. All the pretty flashing lights on the unit don't impress me.

For a unit that costs more than 2 1/2 times the price of the popular Boss CEB-3, I expected much, much, more.

Purchased for $180 from and returned to
    Driven Crane likes this.
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You've talked me out of it.
  3. I second Blisshead.

Perhaps giving the EQ-20 a similar thread treatment as this could be intereting. Any takers?
  4. rickbass

Well, what can I say Joshua??? I tried it for 3 weeks every which way except underwater.

If a person plays guitar AND bass or if one gets a woodie over blinking lights and a bunch of knobs, then I think that person could dig it.

I think the realitvely simple EBS Unichorus is next up. Beaver Felton told me the EBS is his chorus of choice.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I do like lights......:D I'd be interested to hear your take on the Voodoo Labs box. It's billed as a CE-1 clone.

edit: you say you DIDN'T try it underwater? I expect you to be more thorough next time!
  6. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I am an anti knob-twiddler, I like simplicity, I got the EBS UniChorus and am very happy with it..
  7. rickbass

If I could locate one to try out, Joshua, I'd be interested, too. Maybe I will when I'm on the road next month.

The thing that puts me off about the Voodoo is that one of its 2 big features is a Leslie sound. The sound that makes me regurgitate more than the Leslie sound is wah-wah or a talkbox. I can't see paying for an option I know I'll never use. Quality-wise, Voodoos appear to be very good units on paper.

Sorry I couldn't try the Boss underwater. We had rain and my pool was getting an algae treatment.

But I think next time I'll do a test in some lime Jello. Women seem to like that, too. :D
  8. to me, it just seems like to many knobs, not that i'm against knob twiddling, My Big jam have three levels, Warp, Depth and speed, and it gets the job done.