1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss CS-3 compressor with mods?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cutty, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    I bought a CS-3 and have completed the Monty Allums component upgrade,it sounds excellent with this mod installed,more Hi-Fi and no noise at all,and the major thing is it doesn't change the tone of your bass at all,i was wondering if anyone else has done this mod and what they thought of it,i'm certainly very pleased,cheers.:)

2. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU

Can you give more info (link, anything) on this modification?
    sounds interesting..

Thank you!

3. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    Yes sure,here is the link,good luck,i'm really pleased with mine,it's a hi-fi unit now!By the way,mine is the Opto-mod.
    http://www.monteallums.com/Product_links.html

4. Paulb7664

Paulb7664

Sep 30, 2004
    Kent UK
    I just got a CS-3 and would like to know more. How long did they take post you the kit, I live in Kent UK. The sound clips on threr site are of guitar!!
    Have you got any sound clips with your bass?
    What settings ect do you use on the CS-3?

Thanks

Paul

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I use a stock CS-3, and really like it. Not a 'transparent' compression, to be sure. I like the 'barely-controlled beast' kind of sound that I can get from it - but it'll do a pretty nice, natural compression too, if I run the sustain back around 10:00.

For the large-amont of gain that I run with it, I'm surprised as to how low the noise is - but of course, ANY amount that I can reduce it would be great! I use it almost all the time (the only sound I have inwhich I don't is for a 'natural overdriven tube amp' sort of sound, where I use the Deisel Dawg and Xciter alone).

One thing I've noticed is that when I run the attack control up past about 2:30 or so, the release gets so fast (it's called 'attack', but it also turns DOWN the release as you increase the attack) that it induces harmonic distortion. I rather like this for my high-gain distortion tone, but I usually back it off for clean playing.

As it is, it does chop the low-lows a tad; I wouldn't mind getting that taken care of too.

My usual setting is Level=11:45; tone=4:00; attack=2:30; sustain=2:00.

Joe

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have modded some CS-3's using the same steps as the one guy Humphrey, which are (probably) the same mods as Allums (the basic ideas are posted in DIY sites), plus a couple little ideas of my own. I don't have any sound samples right this second, but I'll make some this weekend.

For those that want to DIY, with or without buying a kit, the majority of the mod is to replace noisy cheap components in the audio path with clean-sounding (comparatively expensive on a production level) components. Improve bass by putting a larger cap at the input.

7. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    The settings i use are all at 12,except the attack which i find is good for me at 9 and the sustain also at 9,this gives me a fat tone with my jazz bass,and the E string is really powerful,if i do any slapping the eveness is really great,brings all the strings to the same level in volume,they posted the kit right away,but it took around a week before it arrived,cheers.