1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss CS-3 Question/Help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stampy, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    I just added this pedal to the GEB-7 that I already had. First off I love the pedal it gives a nice warm analog sound like Rush's Moving Pictures(only thing I can compare it to) The only problem is when I am not playing a note and got horrible feedback and staticy noise. I play through an Ampeg BA115 amp and I know it's a noisy amp but this thing really has some loud feedback. I tried running the pedals both ways:

Bass - GEB-7 - CS-3 - Amp
    Bass - CS-3 - GEB-7 - Amp

And I get the same loud feedback. Could it be a bad cable that I am running between the two? I just ran the CS-3 alone with my existing cables and I noticed the same feedback. I really hope it's not a bad pedal.:crying: I suppose a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppresor pedal would cure it but I don't to drop the extra money. Just wondering if anyone else using this pedal has this problem? I really really love the sound but the feedback is super loud. Help Please:rollno::bawl::scowl:

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Odds are you have it set wrong. Try turning the Sustain knob down to like 9:30 or 10:00, and don't add the EQ into the chain until you've got the comp working correctly. And set the CS3 for unity gain, no boost.

3. Bongomania is correct, the sustain knob is crazy at higher settings and can be a pain with a noisy guitar or bass. Also the cs-3 is incredibly noisy if you are using a poor power supply, my diago powerstation and it just didn't get along!

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Them 2 just said a mouthful. The "S" part of that pedal is about useless.

5. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    Thanks All, Thats what the problem was the sustain was to high. Works great now!

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I have a CS-3 and love it to bits. I have other compressors too, but the CS-3 has its own voice which I like sometimes.

7. I have the humphrey cs-3 bass smasher.
    It is great at what it does - but I find I still need to use an EQ to follow it - as it does tend to suck out the lows a bit.
    If I knew how to mod the pedal further I may give it a go.....

I find this relegates it to using it as an effect - rather than a leave on.

8. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    You are right. I did notice it took some of the lows away. So on the GEB-7 I just turned the bass up a tad on that to compensate for the difference.