Boss Cs-3 Settings

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Racsen, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    What are your settings? i do some variations but couldnt find any smooth and powerful sound.
  2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ooohh, Dude! Sorry - I hadn't seen your post. I love my CS-3, and never turn it off; it's definately a part of my sound.

Before I got the Aphex Bass Xciter I would hardly consider playing without the CS-3. Sometimes I'd want a 'one-pedal' set up -- like if I were using someone elses amp, or just going into a board or whatever. Then I'd at least bring the CS-3, and set it like Level = 11:30; Tone = 2:00; Attack = 1:30; Sustain = 10:00 to 12:00 (about 11:00 normally - maybe back to 10:00 for slap, or 12:00 for Dub-tone. **but don't forget that this setting is WAY bass-specific! Y'can't copy my setting on that one - it depends on your Bass' output!). I love how the Sustain control is designed so that if you're using it for compression - not just for peak limiting - you can adjust the Sustain knob for more or less compression without having to compensate anywhere else (the way it is, appearently, is that the 'Sustain' control is input gain, the 'Level' control is output gain, and the threshold is fixed).

Now that I have the Xciter... Ahh! -I won't DO a one-pedal setup anymore! I'm bring'n'm BOTH! The Big Bottom section of the Xciter is actually a low-frequency compressor anyway, y'know, and what the Exciter section does for the highs - pretty cool (the Big Bottom is the most valuable to me, though). If I really were allowed to only bring ONE, then I guess if it were a bigger pro rig it'd be the CS-3, but if it were going to be a little combo or something (or a 1/8-inch jack on a little home-stereo with a mic input, like I sometimes use for practice), then it'd be the Xciter - that thing really makes little amps sound BIG!

Here is my complete, new pedal-patch of doom (copied from a recent posting in another thread, with a bonus of inluding my CEB-3 chorus settings too...):

Boss CS-3 (looking 'clockwise'):
    Level = 11:00
    Tone = 3:00
    Attack = 1:30
    Sustain = 12:30 (this has to be adjusted for your individual instrument; adjust it for how long you need the synth-like distortion tone to hold steady as a note dies-away on the bass)​
    Aphex Xciter (per knob-marker numbers):
    Low Tune = 4.5
    Low Blend = 8.5
    High Tune = 6.5
    High Blend = 8.5​
    Boss ODB-3 ('per clockwise'):
    Level = 9:30
    High = 7:00 (full-CCW)
    Low = 1:30
    Balance = 12:00
    Gain = 1:00​
    Boss CEB-3 ('per clockwise')
    E.Level = 2:45
    Low Filter = 9:15
    Rate = 10:30
    Depth = 5:00
    (I don't use the chorus too often, really; when I do, it's a fairly subtle tone change.​

Now a very cool bonus to running all four like this -- and the reason why the CS-3's "Level" control is backed way-off to 11:00 (more-like 12:00 would be better for a 'no volume-change bypass' for my bass and playing) -- is that you can turn this killer synthy-fuzztone into a nice, natural, realistic 'overdriven head' sound by turning just two knobs on the ODB (I never bypass the CS-3, so it's OK if it attenuates a little)...
    Level = change from 9:30 to 12:00
    Gain = change from 1:00 to 7:00 (full-CCW)​
    Hey - give that CS-3 a chance. I get very nice results with mine here in Wisconsin, USA.

Wishing you the best -

3. Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Thnks for your answer almost we have same pedals i have odb3 ceb3 cs3 and Coming new HARtke bass attack.
    I'll try some combinations thank you again
  4. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Is it possible to have it as a limiter?
  5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yup -- by turning DOWN (COUNTER Clock-wise) the 'Sustain' control.