1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

boss cs3 mods for compressor, can u mod cs2?...what improvements? please comment!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rokkitt, Oct 7, 2009.

1. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc
    Hi

I have a boss chorus, I heard that if you mod this thing, it can really sound good!

but, alas, I have the cs2, not the cs3.... the only mods I have seen are for the cs3

so,

any way to mod a cs-2?

and, can it be done at home, with a soldering iron and a few caps/transistors/wires....ect?

mad scientist kinda home mod....hahahahha

any thoughts?

and,

do any of you guys have a modded boss chorus sustainer cs-3? what kind of improvement do you see?

thanks@!

big al

2. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc
    well....

found this...seems pretty involved.....

here is the link

http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/cs3modding.shtml

any one using this cs3 with the mod? how is it different?

here are the details of the link :bassist:

xtensive compressor reviews and FAQ

Modding a Boss CS-3 for better bass:

R = resistor, D = diode, C = capacitor.
    Part number original value replace with: new value
    R5 10K replace with: 470 ohm
    R36 10K replace with: 100 ohm
    R32 220 ohm replace with: wire jumper
    D10 ? replace with: wire jumper
    C1 .027 uF electrolytic replace with: .22 to .47 uF non-polar
    C2 .022 uF electrolytic replace with: .47 uF non-polar
    C4 1 uF electrolytic replace with: 1 uF non-polar
    C6 1 uF electrolytic replace with: 1 uF non-polar
    C13 .047 uF electrolytic replace with: 2 uF non-polar
    C14 1 uF electrolytic replace with: 1 uF non-polar
    C17 1 uF electrolytic replace with: 1 uF non-polar

This is certainly not the "only" method, and there may be some more advanced things you'll want to try such as changing the taper of the Attack or Sustain pots, but these mods have worked well for me. For capacitors, I recommend non-polar metal film, polyester, polystyrene, polypropylene, or mylar; I do not recommend ceramic.

Here is one drawing of the schematic: dirk-hendrik.com/CS-3, but you won't actually need the schematic to do the mods suggested above, as the part numbers (C13 etc.) are labeled right on the Boss circuitboard.

The space where the input cap is on the circuitboard is a tight spot; a .33 or .47 uF polyester cap may be too big to fit there. One option is to use a smaller type of cap like tantalum; but if you're finicky about audio and want to use "the best" audio caps, you have to get creative fitting the oversized ones in there. One way I have done this is to position the cap near the end of the circuitboard, and run the legs of the cap the 2cm or so back to the points on the board where it is supposed to attach. It requires some careful bending of the legs to make a clean fit, but it works well. Also, you'll want to cover the legs with shrink tubing to avoid them shorting against other metal parts. Ideally you want to position the cap so it will tuck up next to the sub-board that holds the pots when you close the pedal back up. C13 is also a bit of a tight fit; you can use a similar technique of extending the legs, or you can use two 1 uF caps in parallel side-by-side, if that will fit better than one 2 uF cap.

If you have questions about doing or understanding the mods, I won't be able to help you--instead, please visit diystompboxes.com. Good luck!

3. The author of that site is a member here.

"Bongomania to the customer services desk..."

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, but he's already read what I have to say about it. I know there are a few other people here using modded CS-3's so let's hear from them. :)

5. Sorry bongo, I thought you were going to answer this one...my bad :(.

6. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc
    hey bongo! hello...dang pedal board gas

uhmm... can I mod a cs2? or do I need a cs3? I saw you were selling one...

wink!

big al

what changes "changes" when you do the mod?

allen

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The mods improve the amount of lows that come through; they reduce (but not eliminate) the noise; and they reduce the amount of audible distortion.

I don't remember how close the CS-2 circuitboard layout was to the CS-3 board, so I can't say for sure whether the posted mods will be exactly the same. However I do think the design of the circuit is very similar, perhaps the same except for one pot--was it the attack or the tone pot that was added with the CS-3? Anyway your best bet is to pop open your CS-2 and see if the part numbers match up with the component values shown on my page.

8. is there anything out there to make the cs-3 not suck? because ive got one laying around that i never use because there is not a decent sound in it

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The only thing that "there is not a decent sound in" is a bad musician.

10. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Based on the thread title, Im sure you already know this, but just in case-- the CS-2 and 3 are compressors, not choruses.

11. right. well the compressor is a piece of **** and i got it as a christmas present. is there any mod to make it not suck, and make it more like a rack compressor that MIGHT be useful?

12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    How old are you?

13. me? 20. and i know what a good compressor sounds like. the cs-3 really isnt it.

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I asked because (a) the answer to your question is in the second post, and (b) your attitude makes me not want to help you at all.

15. hahahaha....make your avatar eat his eyes before he sees the truth!