1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss DB 30 Dr. Beat Metronome

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by KJung, Apr 30, 2006.

1. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'm not sure this is the correct place for this, but I'm so excited about this product I had to get the word out.

I am one who feels practicing with a metronome is crucial to good time and execution on the gig. The relatively new DB 30 metronome is the best unit I've come across.

It is tiny.... 3" by 2" by about 1/2" deep... but is as 'full function' as the DB-88 (the long time standard IMO).

It has a loud 'click', along with flashing 'beat' lights and a very nice digital 'swing arm' that mimics the old mechanical metronomes. It is totally and, most importantly, easily programmable 'on the fly' for many different standard and odd time signatures and different grooves, and can be programmed for quarter, eighth notes, etc. It also has a headphone out, so you can plug it into the second channel of a headphone preamp or amp for louder practicing.

Its size allows it to be kept in a gig bag pouch for use at all times.

It's about $40 at Musicians Friend. Truly amazing product IMO.

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Here's a picture with a standard sized coffee mug included for context.

db30.

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Looks sweet. I gotta get me a drum machine :oops:

4. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    So wait--is this just a click metrenome, or a mini drum machine?

If it's a drum machine, I'm definitely gonna pick one up.

-Dash

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

It's just a metronome... but a very sophisticated one. It has the capability of, for example, counting in 5 or 9, 3+2, various clave rhythms, etc., etc. Very nice for practicing.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I use a pair of Seiko Quartz metronomes, a bit bigger, but I love the big wheel. I think they work fine, although they don't accentuate the downbeats, the ones, but a simple click works for me.

BTW, moved to misc.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

It does have a click volume control that goes from quite loud to all the way off. It's a great unit.

K

8. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Looks like a very handy tool.

Can it be set to emphasise particular beats in the bar? (Eg. 1&3)?

9. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Ended up buying one of these today. Very useful gadget.

I hadn't practised with a metronome for years. Put in an hour's practice with this metronome this evening. I was shocked at how sloppy my sense of time was!

Back to the woodshed for me, with the metronome and Mick Goodrick's latest book, 'Factorial Rhythm for all Instruments'.