1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss DD-3 and DD-6

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by igwin, Aug 13, 2007.

1. igwin

igwin

Aug 13, 2007
    I've been wanting to pick up a delay pedal for quite sometime now. I have heard that the Boss DD-3 and DD-6 work just fine for Bass guitars, can anyone clarify this for me? Or can someone let me know if there is a good delay pedal out there made for Bass guitars?

2. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Delays are usually full range pedals, so they tend to work fine with Bass. If you search "Delay" you'll find a lot of threads on a lot of different delays. I would say that depending on what you're looking for in a Delay, you might be able to do better than the DD3. For instance, if you just want simple digital delay the Guyatone Mini delay is smaller and less expensive than the Boss models. Or if you want more bells and whistles there are plenty of more feature-packed units out there, like the forthcoming EHX Stereo Memory Man.

3. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
  4. hoerni

hoerni

Jun 4, 2007
    NJ
    Depends on what you want, straight delay or noise-maker (or both). The DD-3 is a very simple digital delay. The DD-6 adds some more features like reverse. The DD-20 goes further with the effects and adds programmable presets (that's what I have)

I'm currently rebuilding my pedal board and I think I am going to put the Line 6 DL-4 on there. It gives lots of options for delay models, plus has the expression input for wacky stuff.

For a small cheap delay, I'd recommend the Ibanez DE-7. In one mode it sounds like a normal clear digital delay. In the other mode it is a great tape emulation, capable of self-oscillating and great wacky freak-out noises.

5. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I also have the DL-4, which is awesome on bass.

6. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have a DD-3 and think its great for bass. Simple yet sweet sounding with good control over the essential parameters.

Its not a true bypass pedal but the Boss bypass is not too bad. I keep mine as the very last pedal in the chain before returning to the amp. Delays usually sound better after other effects (inmy opinion of course)!

7. Smu573

Smu573

Dec 6, 2002
    U.S.A. Chicago Il.
    EDEN Artist
    I have the DD6 and it's to compicated, I'm thinkling about getting an easier unit . Maybe an analog one. Any suggestions? I ussually have boutique pedals, so the nicer the unit the more exited I'll get.

8. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I've played with my guitarist's DD6 before and I like it. I like the warp function, which lets you set a normal delay setting, but when you hold down the switch it changes the feedback setting to being all the way up, so everything builds up until you let go. I like using that setting with my LBM going into my qtron then in the delay, pretty sweet sounds ensue.

Other than that the only delay I've really had a chance to test out is the EHX #1 Echo, which is a solid unit. I like it's ability to get strange sounds in such a simple package. It gets a cool sitar-like sound. Check out mine or Mystic Boo's reviews on it if you are interested (Boo's review is better). Search for EHX #1 Echo and look through a few pages for them, the threads have been dead for several weeks.

9. Smu573

Smu573

Dec 6, 2002
    U.S.A. Chicago Il.
    EDEN Artist
    I should really read the manual for the dd6,the warp feature sounds cool. thanks for the input.

10. hoerni

hoerni

Jun 4, 2007
    NJ
    DD-20 has that too. I've tried it, but it sounds kinda "fake" to me.

Like it is programmed to sound like oscillation, but it doesn't really oscillate like a BBD pedal (or even a good emulation like the Line 6 DL-4)

11. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    The digitech DigiDelay is $99 has some cool features.

12. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    ...what he said. :smug:

It's very simple, but cool. As long as you're aware of what it can (and can't do), it's a really great pedal!