1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss DN-2 Dyna Drive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kreider204, Oct 11, 2013.

1. I tried it in the store and was not impressed. Maybe I missed something... but save your money and get a Saucy Audio OFD!

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
  3. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    Please report back when you get it!

4. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    What he said!

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    got it today and tried it out. it works exactly as described. the distortion is very smooth and it's extremely touch sensitive (like it should be). the only thing is, it has A LOT of low end loss so I wouldn't recommend it for use with a bass.

I wish that it was more full range/transparent, but it's pretty mid voiced and somewhat boxy sounding like a tubescreamer. it's all SMD inside so it would be difficult to mod it for a bass, but if I had a schematic for it, i'd probably mod it anyway.

6. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Thanks for the report. That's really too bad about the low end loss - otherwise, it sounds pretty great.

7. My guitarist has one of these that I tried for bass at rehearsal this evening. On very low drive as an always on and I really enjoyed using it. There is a small amount of low end loss but when balanced against a clean signal it is not unusable.

However I don't tend to use a particularly bass heavy tone and through a cleaner amp it might have a different result. I will be using it again with another amp next week and will see if I am still impressed.

8. Reporting back.

I really really like this pedal for bass.

Have used this pedal at several rehearsals and one gig and it has worked well for me as an always on. I have the tone control near minimum and very low drive, clean with just a little grit when you dig in.

At a rehearsal I had a power supply problem and this was the only gain pedal that I had that would take a battery. I ran my bass to this pedal with battery to effect in of combo amp and it did a surprisingly good job. I have the controls on my bass bypassed and no tone controls on my amp so the sound of the pedal was it.

I then had a gig on haloween night. I use a big PA solid state amp into a Marshall 2x10 and 1x15 bass cab. All my tone shaping is on an MXR-M80 which gives me a clean sound which I ran the dyna drive into with a bit of eq correction.

This pedal (the mxr) decided to die after the first song. After half a song of trouble shooting I bypassed and ran from the dyna drive directly to the power amp. It had enough gain to drive it and was a decent sound for my band. Again no tone controls on the amp or the bass.

I had no issues with low end loss, there was some but not enough to affect me. I don't know if the low end loss would be more prominent if the drive was up significantly more.

There are recordings from the gig but I don't yet have them, when I do I will post some up.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  9. As mentioned weeks ago, very short clip of P-bass - dyna drive - power amp. Not my ideal way of using it, but it shows that it is definitely usable for bass.

Excuses for quality of live gig recording.

Attached Files:

10. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Sounds pretty cool. would you say that the dyna drive sounds similar to that of a boss ds-1?

11. The ds1 that I tried was modified so I don't know about stock. It had too much low end loss to be usable so I haven't really compared it.

Edit for spelling

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  12. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Yeah okay. but soundwise, would you say that the dyna drive sounds similar to the ds-1 or does it have a different sound compared to the ds-1?

13. As stated above, I haven't used it for bass due to massive low end loss. My experiments with it lasted about 20 seconds (it was also very high gain, I don't know how much of that was the mod). Last time I played with it for guitar is at least 10-12 years ago. I have no idea?

The Dn-2 very mid focused which I like, and i don't actually drive it very much. In a normal situation I would boost the bass a touch on some other pedal, in the recording above I couldn't.

14. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Okay so the dyna drive is mid-focused. there are ways to use distortion on bass without obliterating lows. one obvious way is by using a blender pedal. another is by using eq. that method is a little tricky, but once you find the sweet spot, you're good to go. also I almost forgot that there was a clip on youtube where someone demoed all the boss distortion pedals on bass. the dyna drive on this clip is at 3:28 and from my perspective, it sounds more or less like a mid-rangy ds-1. other that that, this clip might help you on finding a different boss pedal to try out on bass since you're not amused by the dyna drive.

15. I'm plenty amused by the dyna drive. Just the situation I was in for the clip wasn't ideal. It still had enough lows for the situation.

16. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Okay...the only thing that matters most is if you like the pedal.