Boss Ds-1

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by astronauts_suck, Aug 11, 2005.

1. I use an active bass and i have a Boss Ds-1, and it doesnt have a very good low end response. I was wondering if there were any inexpensive mods that could help to rememdy this problem. Any input would be helpful.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    There are some capacitors in the input line and next to the output that could be changed to increase the bass response.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Honestly, in all the repairs I've done, I won't again attempt to fix or modify a BOSS pedal. A bunch of the components are small surface mount components and are impossible to work on without damaging the effects in the long run.

However, has some good effects. Email him, he specializes in modding BOSS effects.
  4. Tanks for info, really appreciate it. :)
  5. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Change c2 out with a 1uf cap. I have done it to mine. Makes the sound a bit better for bass. You can alot of bass if you just put in a jumper instead but to me it really ruins the nice grind this pedal gives. The cap change makes this pedal excelent for guitar though!
  6. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
  7. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    A used looper or used Boss LS-2 to mix your clean bassy signal with the distorted one.
  8. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    keeley does have some bass enhancing mods, but i can vouch for brian @ indyguitarist. i havent had anything modded but have talked to him a few times and purchased a true bypass box from him with no worries at all. if you subscribe to the free mailing list, it often has cheap deals for those on the list.
  9. IndyGuitarist

Jun 13, 2005
    Thanks for the recommendations guys - I appreciate it!

If you are just wanting to tailor the pedal more for bass, do this.
    Change c3 to a 1uf (yes, 1 microfarad - also, use a film cap, not a polarized cap).
    Change r16 to a 2.2k resistor.

That should give you plenty of bass for the ds-1.

Hope that helps! :)