1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss DS-1

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by metallist, Jan 8, 2008.

1. ***I have searched to no avail*** :bag:

I recently tried out a Boss DS-1 distortion for guitar (on bass) - I really liked it.

Has anyone else had experience with one of these pedals?

Cheers, Simon

2. Woops! I didn't search the archives - just the effects thread.
    :ninja:

3. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    It's okay but there's better out there, I modded mine with the tremolo/noise/self oscillation thing and I basically just use it for noise not distortion really. It cuts a lot of low end and gives way to much of a volume boost.

4. What are some others that would be better?

5. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Are you wanting a distortion or overdrive? Either of the words would come up with a plethora of knowledge on certain pedals for those functions, I can think of at least 1 decent sized thread for each of those that have been on the first page in the last day.

6. I am looking for more of a Distortion - something that can be really harsh (not Big Muff harsh) and something that I can tame to give me a little grit.

7. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Scroll down just a little bit and look at the "Distortion Hell" thread.

8. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    The Ibanez PD7 seems to have a bit more in the way of balls. Just go to the Boss, ibanez, and digitech websites, check their products out,

If I had the money (I will save up) I would buy an MXR Blowtorch. They jsut sound unbelievable!

9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Not tried the DS-1, but I had a DS-2 Turbo Distortion lying around, and it sounds really good on bass, as long as the turbo switch is set to I and not II (II sucks the bass away).

Got a Humphrey modded Bad Monkey now which is way better, but surprisingly similar.

10. I find the the DS-1 pretty cool for playing around and home, or even for recording I can make it work, but if I try and use it with a band it just gets me lost in the mix.

Try a Proco Rat, almost similar but it works better for bass imo.

11. Thanks for the advice - I am going to see if I can try find one in Melbourne!

12. There, fixed it fer ya ;)

13. I should probably try a Turbo Rat....

14. i have a DS-1 but i only use it for guitar because my russian big muff is just so tasty and smooth

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021