1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss EQ-20 Discontinued?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by coolrunner989, Jun 28, 2007.

1. I've been looing at trading/selling my Boss GT6-B, but one of the best things I like about it is the preset eq patches. So I was looking at the reveiws at the Boss Eq-20 and it looks like it would fit what I want perfectly - 10 bands, 9 presets.:hyper:

My question is - I dont see this on any website (rolans, GC, samash, musiciansfriend). Is it discontinued? If so I'm gonna jump on one of the ones on ebay, but if not then I'd like to go to a store and pick it up new/used. I like to see things before I get them.

Answers? Suggestions on anything else that you think would be better?

thanks a bunch

2. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    Yep, it is discontinued. :/ sorry

3. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    It's probably because everybody complained about the footswitch function, that it switched between the manual and program modes rather than cycling between the programs. Though if you think about it the way they have it makes more sense. What if you want to switch back and forth between two eq settings, you'd have to cycle through all the other programs each time.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sonicvi summed it up nicely, it was a great idea with poor execution.

5. does it have an output for an aditional footswitch? if so nobody should complain...and if it does, just another reason for me to get it! lol

6. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, I think it should've had a third footswitch for the preset cycle function, or preset up/down footswitches.

7. what do you mean mannual and program modes?

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

No.
    Checking specs can be a pretty good way to get rid of GAS.

9. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    Actually, it would be pretty easy to mod the cycling switch near the LCD to be a simple foot pushbutton switch. :) I didn't use the thing enough to warrant it, and ended up trading mine.

10. I think I'll get it and if i dont like it the way it is I'll get somebody to mod it for me. Thanks guys.

Anybody have one in good condition they wanna sell? lol

11. How much was this pedal new when it was for sale?

12. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I think they around $200 new. They often go for around $100 on ebay.

13. I'm bidding for one on ebay right now. Started at 75, its up to 150...
    edit: $200 right now...I hope the other guy gives up. I really want this thing! lol

14. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Picked one up used, did a mod to it, took all off 10 mins to dismantled it, cut a link, solder one jumper and I now have a scrolling programmable EQ. I use a loop switch to turn it on an off on my pedalboard. Replaced my older 7 band EQ and I am a happy camper.

If you want to modify one this URL will help:
    http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=40509.0

15. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Get the Source Audio Programmable EQ. 7-bands (selectable between guitar or bass). 4-presets. Small footprint. Much higher quality than the Boss.

16. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    As far as we know, the old Boss unit and our Programmable EQ are the only ones out there with presets.

Just to claify the point above: there is an 8th band which can be activated for bass applications. In bass mode it becomes an 8 band EQ..

17. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Shame I ws thinking about this eq. Heard such good things about it. Maybe they are coming out with something better.

18. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    The Boss has a manual mode and it's quicker to make a graphic shape with the sliders, the Source Audio one cannot do that, good as it is.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021