1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss EQ-20: do you have? did u modify?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Zapp, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    gang
    I had picked up a used Boss EQ-20 for acoustic guitar. its ok for that, but not such a help that I care to lug it.
    So I tried it with my bass rigs and its a big help... except for the lack of switchability. if you have one, you know what I mean

I read on some forum that a competent tech could add a jack to it allowing a footswitch to scroll the presets. have any of you knowledge of this?

this is a really clean-sounding unit with some strong boost and cut capability, and overall gain/preamp that is actually high quality, but just unbelievably poorly-designed control "features"

z

2. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Nope. I find three eq curves (off, preset, sliders) available at the press of a footswitch to be plenty.

3. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I don't know why Boss designed the EQ20 so you can't step through your settings rather than have to push a little button. I had a friend mod mine w/ a switch that allows me to step through my EQ settings. $0.25 switch, 10 minutes work (I did wind up buying him breakfast, so it wasn't a TOTAL freebie) :D

4. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas

did he just intercept the connections to the little button, and externalize into a jack for a footswitch? sounds like what i need to do.

5. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    He inserted a small 2-way switch in the back of the box; it "turns on" the manual/memory footswitch to do the same thing as the "select" button...

I'll try and snap a few pics later today of it so you can get the general idea.

6. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    thx bro
    z

7. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I'm interested in a mod like this for my EQ-20. Is there any more info about it?