Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss EQ-20

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by anthonyowm, Dec 18, 2003.

1. anthonyowm

anthonyowm

Sep 24, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    Im interested in buying a Boss EQ-20 pedal and was curious if any of you have played on one? It's kinda pricey but i like the fact that its got a 10-band eq and 9 storable settings but I'm curious what you all think.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's cool, but there's one major issue with it.

I wanted to be able to do eq changes during songs, while playing. you'd think the footswitches would let you do that, but they don't. While using the footswitches, you can basically only switch the current patch on/off. If you want to change patches, you have to press one of the smaller buttons to cycle patches - not easy for live use while playing!

3. anthonyowm

anthonyowm

Sep 24, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    damn that sucks...i think i might tell my vocalist to hit it lol, but thanks a lot for the info man

4. Maybe you could get 2 or 3 10 band EQ pedals.

Thats what I plan to do when a get a new rig(this summer i hope?). 2 or 3 MXR 10bands lined up with a different EQ and label each one(funk tone, phat tone, etc.)
    That way it'll be a push of two footswitches and I've got a new tone.

Glenn

5. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I'm following up on a thread I found online, supposedly there is a mod that you can add a footswitch to the EQ-20 (if I remember right there's even a "plug" in the chassis that you can punch out for the jack) but I still haven't found the schematic to do it...you can bet I'll put it on here if I can find it though! Aside from the obvious flaw (can't "step" through presets), I really like mine, I've got a clean setting and a overdriven setting that I'm pretty happy with...

6. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    have a link?

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Hmmm. I don't have the EQ20, but I do have the OD20, and that pedal permits the user to choose between various footswitch options (toggle one preset on and off, cycle through all presets, etc.) using a bit of jiggery-pokery. Sure there's nothing like that for the EQ20?

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    At the time I tried it, over a year ago, there was most definitely no such option.

9. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    it sounds like it wasn't ready when they announced it so they rushed it

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah, Boss really dropped the ball on this one, esp. considering that multiple footswitch function options are available on the OD20. It's time for an "XL" version.

11. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I had a friend put in a switch so that one of the pedals would have the same effect as the button. I'll include a pic he sent, for anyone who is interested.

I really like the ability I have to go from a fat bottom end EQ to bright settings in a set...a nice ability!