Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

boss eq vs. aphex aural exciter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by themathrock, Jun 6, 2004.

1. besides the price range and direct out on the aural exciter, would the eight band eq on the boss be better than the four knobs on the aphex? thanks.

2. I use the Boss, does alright, but if you want your amp to sound bigger and a DI, aphex. The boss will cut/boost the frequency. The boss is a 7 band btw

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, obviously a 7 band eq is more versatile - a sound sculpter, kind of. But the Aphex is more of a sound enhancement, a sound enhancer.

What are you looking for a pedal to do, because aphex vs boss eq is a bit of an apples/oranges comparison

4. thanks, i just kinda pulled that number out of nowhere.
    i'm looking for a boost, definately, but my amp already has a d.i. out. i'm just looking for a bass boost basically. would i be better off with the boss eq? if so, what's the difference between the ge-7 and the be-7? i know that one is for guitar, but i see the ge-7 in a lot of player's rigs. thanks.

5. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    I've never personally used the exciter, but I think the be-7 is maybe more of what you are looking for. It seems like the cheapest way of getting what you want, why pay more for options you don't want?

Though, try them both, the exciter may do things to your sound you really like.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, the ge-7 can be used on bass but since the lowest frequency band is 100hz it's not as applicable in this situation as the geb-7 which goes down to 50hz - a more suitable frequency for bass boosting.

7. Let me throw in another idea.

How about an Aguilar DB924 outboard preamp? 16 db of boost at 40hz and 4khz, excellent tone enhancement, can be had for about $120 used.

8. well after searching around, i found the boss eq pedal that is digital and is the size of two boss pedals. the name slips my mind, but i narrowed it down to the boss eq, then found this. thank you everyone.