Boss EQ20 10 band graphic equalizer as preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Oct 20, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The output of the boss eq20 is +4 dbu. Am I correct in that this is enough output power to drive my AI Focus SA to its full 600w?

If this thing works as a preamp, I would be quite pleased as it is light (2lbs) and talk about tone shaping (10 bands of eq with 9 presets). The only drawbacks are: 1. No DI 2. How to connect tuner? Could I use a "Y" cable from my bass (which has active EMG P pickups) to the input of the eq20 AND the input of the tuner without degrading the signal to a degree which would be noticeably negative?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Yes, provided it's input sensitivity is adequate (I haven't bothered to check). The tuner shouldn't be a problem.
  3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I think you would be OK with the tuner, especially with an active bass.

It's worth looking at some "acoustic" preamps, since you already have the upright bassist's dream power amp anyway. I think that Fishman makes one with a 4- or 5-band EQ, and it might even have the connectivity you desire.
  4. Does the boss pedal seriously put out a signal strong enough to drive a poweramp? that is a surprise to me...!?
  5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The SA has an instrument level input with a sensitivity of 250 mVrms for full output. Is that sensitive enough?
  6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    From me to Boss:

I have a boss eq20. I have used it directly into my AI Focus SA poweramp as a preamp and it seemed to work. My question is: what is the output of the unit? If its 0db or above I know I can draw all 600w out of my poweramp. As I am currently using it, my setup seems fine for practice but i have to know if the boss eq20 will fully drive my poweramp so that i can use it for gigs.

From Boss:

The output when set to GUITAR AMP SEND is +4 dBu. The unit was not specifically designed as a preamp, but should work OK for you.