1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss FBM-1

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rickenbaker, Sep 7, 2008.

1. rickenbaker

rickenbaker

Jul 20, 2007
    has anybody had any experience with this pedal. because I'm suprised that no one has posted anything. because even though boss is marketing this as an exclusively guitar pedal it's modeling a bass amp

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

What happens if you plug into a pedal that models a sucky bass amp ?

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The Bassman amp of '59 is one of the greatest, warmest guitar amps of all time.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm surprised you didn't search on 'bassman'. ;)

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

And one of the worst bass amps ever.

6. rickenbaker

rickenbaker

Jul 20, 2007
    the reason I didn't search for "bassman" was because I was wondering how the pedal sounded

matante likes this.
  7. I have it and use it for bass. Honestly, it's a volume boost with pretty much transparent tone knobs. It works wonders for bad tone on guitar, so I'm holding on to it, but for bass, I wouldn't recommend spending the money. Unless you're just looking to boost your volume after a weakened signal or something... But there are much cheaper ways to do that.

The one cool thing though, is that you can get it to give you a little distortion. To my ear, it lo-fi's the signal and makes it sound a little like douche... but to each his own... someone may find a use for it there... as a subtle overdrive pedal.

8. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    That's like titling your thread "Digitech WH-4" and not searching for "Whammy"... it simply makes no sense. :scowl:

As a rule of thumb, it's always good to try different search terms.

BTW: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413170&highlight=bassman

That should answer the reason why few have bothered to try it. ;)

9. rickenbaker

rickenbaker

Jul 20, 2007
    okay sorry, I was just wondering if anybody had tried it bcause boss makes it sound like nirvana for guitsrits but says nothing about bassists. I didn't now that the bass-man was so looked-down upon.

10. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Jazz Ad is right.

As a bass amp it was a miss.

But as a guitar amp it was cool.
    It all depends for what you want to use it.

When in the future my guitar gear will grow, a FBM pedal will certainly be in my collection.
    But it would be a bad idea to use it for bass I assume.

Btw: the new Fender Bassman amplifiers, the ones suitable for bass are pretty good, and reasonable price I think. But they would never be my first choice, there are a lot of bass amps out there with more "soul" then the modern bassmen.