Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BOSS Flangers - BF-2 vs. BF-3?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tplyons, Nov 10, 2003.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Anyone A/B these? Are the BF-3's Bass input and stereo output features worth while? How does it sound compared to the BF-2? Anyone?

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well, I have recently bought both, and the BF-2 is now on ebay (they both came from ebay!)

I don't knwo about the stero output on the BF-3, I don't have 2 rigs, and I haven't had my main rig near my practice combo to try it (but I didn't just get it for the stero output!)

There are separate input for guitar and bass on the BF-3 - haven't tried it with my guitars yet!

I fidn that the BF-3 is easier to control - it seems easier to me to get the sounds I want, plus you get a few options of type of flanging effect.

Something else I've noticed is that so far it has been pretty noiseless, I noticed on the BF-2 it could ba little noisy - like waves gently washing up on a beach....a bit annoying and without a noise gate/suppressor would have been a pain to record with. It might have been notiecable live too - but didn't try it in anger!

BF-2 still gives some real nice sounds though - mine is however back on ebay for sale!

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i owned both at one time or another. i thought they were great, however, they had a "metallic" sound to them. i didn't really like it. it sounded a little to stiff for me. so i ended up getting a dod bass flanger fx75 or something like that. look for those, best flanger i ever had.

4. motherfunker

motherfunker

Apr 29, 2002
    New York
    I got a BF-3 and I can really say it's a sweet pedal.

It has a nice, diverse sound that can satisfy most players--They only problem is it's a bit on the pricey side.

As for the overall stereo effect, I can't say; I only use one amp.