1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss FS-5L on Aguilar AG500SC?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassAgent, May 26, 2011.

1. BassAgent

BassAgent Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    I want to use the mute option on my Aguilar AG500SC amp more easily, and to do that I bought a latch pedal, the Boss FS-5L. What it does is switch on and of the Operate-light, but as soon as I plug the pedal into the footswitch input with a guitar cable, I lose my sound. None whatsoever, not with the pedal on, not with the pedal off. I've tried pushing the Operate/Mute button on the amp itself, but no improvement there.

Any help? :)

2. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    It appears you've tried the obvious and made sure the mute switch on the amp is not engaged. #2 would be to change cables. They are the biggest culprit in system failures. Try a different brand. I've noticed some plugs are narrower than others and don't make good contact. We know the switch on the Boss works because the light goes on/off. It's possible that the output jack on the Boss is faulty/doesn't connect tightly enough to make contact, or the Aggie's input jack for that matter. Have you tried the Boss with another amp? Have you tried another footswitch with your amp? The Aguilar website doesn't offer much help. The owner's manual doesn't even mention the mute function at all. Did you discuss this issue when you went to Paul's in Nijmegen? He's a good friend of mine and knows the Aguilar stuff as well as anyone outside of the company. If all else fails, PM Dave B. He is the company. Good luck.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmm ... I wonder if the mute function is a toggle at the footswitch. It might need the 5U. What did they say when you e-mailed Aguilar?

4. BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    I didn't e-mail Aguilar yet :) But I don't think I would need the 5U. That would mean that when I want to mute the amp, I'd have to hold the footswitch all the time. Seems very strange...? Maybe the Aguilar is allergic to Boss...

I don't think it's the cable. The cable I use is a cable I also use for home recording, so there should be nothing wrong with that. The input jack on the Aggie or output on the Boss seems unlogical to me too, 'cause the Boss is brand new and I've never used the Aguilar input either.
    No and no. But the switch seems to work (light goes on and off on the switch ánd the amp)... I've tried reversing the polarity of the switch as well, by the way.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh.

6. BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    *bump* Any more thoughts on this?