1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss FT-2 vs Soundblox Envelope Filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by churchofamon, Jan 12, 2012.

1. churchofamon

churchofamon

Dec 27, 2011
    Hi all!

I am pretty new here, and couldn't find a thread such as this...

The title is pretty self explanatory. I love that Rollins Band sound and wanted to experiment with a rock-filter sound. Andrew Weiss used the Boss, but if course the Soundblox seems more versatile... but I have no real interest in funk or soul, so I'm not sure if I would really take advantage of the versatility.

I have been going off youtube clips for both these (of which there are some mighty fine examples) and am torn, so am after your opinions.

Cost isn't really an issue, as a 2nd hand Japanese FT-2 is slightly cheaper than a new Soundblox.

Thank you... now have at it!

2. churchofamon

churchofamon

Dec 27, 2011
    Bump!

3. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    Having the SA BEF Pro, I'm quite biased, but I'd definitely recommend getting it because the versatility can lead you to creating sounds you never dreamed of. I just spent the last 3 hours tweaking and refining my presets, and I only got thru 3 of them. I don't say that to make the pedal sound daunting. You can easily use factory presets until you start tailoring the exact sound you seek, plus I was recording some quick demos and charting all the changes and settings, and I had only changed one preset since July/August. The fact it has LFO and Hot Hand (with a card for a free wired Hot Hand for a little while longer), as well as 3 phasers in addition to 21 envelope filter sounds (plus innumerable permutations through the backpage menu) made it the quickest and easiest pedal decision I've made. The waiting for it almost killed me.

Basically, versatility and ability to tailor YOUR sound to YOUR tastes is what sold me on the BEF Pro.

4. churchofamon

churchofamon

Dec 27, 2011
    Alvar that was a great, detailed response! Thank you :)

Any other opinions?

5. churchofamon

churchofamon

Dec 27, 2011
    Bump

6. I have the BEF also- it will do what you need it to do. Even if that changes in a few years. I don't think it's a contest, but I don't have any experience with the Boss FT-2. I got a used AW-3 and I am not terribly impressed with it, although I don't know how it compares to the FT-2.

7. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

I had the FT-2, but have no experience with the BEF. I did like the FT-2, but preserving low-end was an issue on my preferred setting. I looped it through a Boss LS-2 and although it did allow for more bass, it sorta killed the filter function, as the FT-2 is a rather (IMO) subtle filter. I ended up selling it, but I assume that, like a lot of other pedals, it could be modded. My unit had good tone and no noticeable noise.

8. churchofamon

churchofamon

Dec 27, 2011
    Thanks guys, that's just the feedback I was after.