Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss fv-50 vs ZOOM expression pedal FP-01 vs Morley Lil' Alligator volume pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by steviecsg, Aug 1, 2005.

1. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    I have a choice between these 3 vol pedals. Right now I use both active and passive basses.

Which pedal would you guys recommend? I read somewhere that some volume pedals are not suitable to both active/passive bass usage so I am also wondering if these pedals fall within that category.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. jazzbassist

jazzbassist

Aug 1, 2005
    if its a choice of a boss vs a zoom, boss would win anyday. I brought a 140 quid zoom and it broke after a year, thier poor quality. Boss will last you a lifetime

3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Passive volume pedals come in a few varieties. The ones with a 250k or 500k pot in them are going to work better with a passive bass. You will get volume change over the entire range of the pedal. When you plug in an active bass you will get most of the volume change over a small part of the travel.

Then you have 25k volume pots that will work better with active basses, or when used after effect pedals.

Morely stuff that I have used is built well, but the internals have been kinda flaky. The Lil Alligator is a newer product and I haven't used the new stuff. Could be great. Look for some specs on it.

I'd take the Boss (I own one for use as an expression pedal) over the Zoom. I just don't know enough about the Zoom and havn't used it. Their multieffect stuff tends to be kinda plasticy and I don't expect the vol pedal to be built like a tank.

Look at the Ernie Ball pedals if you want the best of both worlds. Built to last, smooth action, quiet, versatile, good internals. They make them in a few sizes and with different value pots. I have a big mono EB vol pedal and it is the best. The also make a stereo pedal that can do stereo pan as well! Nice :bassist:

4. jazzbassist

jazzbassist

Aug 1, 2005
    if u get a boss it will most probably have a five year guarantee, ive got a boss efects pedal, its built like a brick and sounds great. After personal experience i have little or no confidence in zoom products, they use poor quality components and casing