1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss fv-50 vs ZOOM expression pedal FP-01 vs Morley Lil' Alligator volume pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by steviecsg, Aug 1, 2005.

1. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    I have a choice between these 3 vol pedals. Right now I use both active and passive basses.

Which pedal would you guys recommend? I read somewhere that some volume pedals are not suitable to both active/passive bass usage so I am also wondering if these pedals fall within that category.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. jazzbassist

jazzbassist

Aug 1, 2005
    if its a choice of a boss vs a zoom, boss would win anyday. I brought a 140 quid zoom and it broke after a year, thier poor quality. Boss will last you a lifetime

3. Passive volume pedals come in a few varieties. The ones with a 250k or 500k pot in them are going to work better with a passive bass. You will get volume change over the entire range of the pedal. When you plug in an active bass you will get most of the volume change over a small part of the travel.

Then you have 25k volume pots that will work better with active basses, or when used after effect pedals.

Morely stuff that I have used is built well, but the internals have been kinda flaky. The Lil Alligator is a newer product and I haven't used the new stuff. Could be great. Look for some specs on it.

I'd take the Boss (I own one for use as an expression pedal) over the Zoom. I just don't know enough about the Zoom and havn't used it. Their multieffect stuff tends to be kinda plasticy and I don't expect the vol pedal to be built like a tank.

Look at the Ernie Ball pedals if you want the best of both worlds. Built to last, smooth action, quiet, versatile, good internals. They make them in a few sizes and with different value pots. I have a big mono EB vol pedal and it is the best. The also make a stereo pedal that can do stereo pan as well! Nice :bassist:

4. jazzbassist

jazzbassist

Aug 1, 2005
    if u get a boss it will most probably have a five year guarantee, ive got a boss efects pedal, its built like a brick and sounds great. After personal experience i have little or no confidence in zoom products, they use poor quality components and casing