1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss GEB-7 as boost pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by insomniac2295, Apr 16, 2009.

1. So, I'm wondering if I could use the level slider on a Boss GEB-7 to boost the signal of a Sansamp BDDI to drive a power amp. I know that the output level of the BDDI isn't strong enough to properly drive a power amp. So, would that setup work?

2. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    Not sure if it will work for what you want, but I use a GEB-7 as a volume boost for the rare occasions where I'm soloed in the mix and it does that beautifully.

3. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    I doubt a Boss EQ has the gain to drive power amp effectively. There are a bunch of high gain clean boost pedals that should do the trick. An Art Microphone Pre-Amp or similar product would work as well.

4. I always thought that the BDDI was able to drive a power amp?

Al Kraft likes this.
  5. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, I think that most pedals have too low of an output to drive a power amp. The rack mount version does however.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There's quite a few preamp pedals that can drive a power amp these days. Can't give you a comprehensive list, but I've heard of people using BDDI's and VT's to drive power amps.

Al Kraft likes this.
  7. hmmmmm so, you think it would be fine on its own?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I don't know...I've never owned anything but heads ;) Worth a try, though...worst that happens is you have to buy a preamp.

9. just picked up the sansamp today. all i can say is WOW. My tone has improved 200%! I have it running in front of my boss geb-7 with the level maxed on the sansamp and the level on the boss up a little bit just to give it some more bootay, then going to the effects return on my amp. sounds great! the sansamp by itself is more than powerful enough to drive the power amp. mines an older model, and in the manual, it has a section on how to use it to drive a power amp.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sorted!

11. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    GEB-7 could not drive my power amp (older Sunn Beta Power + Slave), but the Music Electronix Submarine could pump enough to drive it fairly nice, not quite to full power though.

12. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

Zombie thread :).

Never needed a clean boost to accentuate some parts before, so I don't have much experience about this, apart from reading here.

After considering a few options (Boss Feedback Booster FB-2, MXR Micro-Amp, Custom Audio Line Driver, EHX LPB-1), I stumbled upon a GEB-7 in the locals and bought it after a quick read here.

I admit the pedal-instead-of-click system being a decisive element. I've had the GEB-7 before, but never for this kind of use. It works well with my headphones but the ultimate test will be band rehearsal Saturday.

Who else uses it for this function ?