Boss GEB 7 vs Boss EQ20

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Oct 3, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am considering buying either a Boss EQ20 10 Band Graphic Equalizer or TWO Boss GEB7s.

Two questions:

1. If i went with 2 geb7s would having two pedals vs one create more signal loss or noise?

2. I find the EQ20 more attractive in that it has 10 rather 7 bands of sliders. However, how useful are the extra 3 sliders? The lowest goes to 31.2hz. Is that even audible?
  2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The range of sound is 20Hz to 20KHz. So yeah, you'll hear it.

Did you want two EQs for pre effects and post effects use?

IME, the pre EQ is ably handled by the bass' tone controls. It might work for you also.
  3. personally i'd do the EQ20...doesn't it have a memory bank so you can save them? i would rather have that personally...
  4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yeah, I think I may go with the EQ20. Its a bit more expensive, but if i have to buy the adapters for each pedal that will add up too.

I want to have access to my desired eq setting at the flick of a switch when I go from fingers to pick. I know one of the drawbacks is that you cant change settings during a song with the EQ20, but that doesnt bother me as I have no intention of doing so.

I have a feeling that two pedals vs one will be noisier as well.
  5. parttimeluthier

May 7, 2005
    Besides the EQ20 having more bands of EQ and being able to store EQ curves; the biggest difference between the two is that the EQ20 is a digital pedal whereas the GEB-7 is an analog pedal. In my opinion that makes the difference considerable.
  6. jazzmonk

Feb 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    I have an EQ20 that I think is great for adding spice (subtle changes) to your tone but useless for what I wanted to accomplish with it. I wanted to replace my amp (Ampeg B100R) tone controls with the EQ20 - my intention was to set the amp flat and call up different presets from the EQ20.

It came close but it couldn't replace my amp controls - probably because none of the frequency slider matched the amp's tone frequency.

The other thing you should know about it is that the pedals don't do what you think they should do: the left pedal toggles bypass/on and the right pedal toggles manual/current preset mode. To cycle through the presets, you have to be in the preset mode (right pedal) then press this small button above the left pedal. If you try pressing the button with anything other than a finger, you risk pressing another button next to it or damaging the display.

What has worked for me is a Digitech BP200 into a flat amp, but it's wall-wart seems to add a bit of hiss.

If you still want to try it, I would buy from a place that would allow you to return it.
  7. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hey thanks for the tips. I will be using this with my AI Focus and it wont be on the floor, so I dont have to worry about pressing the little button.

I just bought a brand new one yesterday on ebay for $110. Hope that's a decent price. Could always re-sell it I guess.

To be honest, it may be more pedal than I need as I really only need two settings; one for fingers one for pick. I could have just bought the geb-7 and used the Focus eq for the other one. Oh well, I am hoping it will do the job.