Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss GEB7 Bass Equalizer Compact Effects Pedal - 7 Band Graphic

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pukeboy66, Dec 28, 2005.

1. pukeboy66

pukeboy66

Oct 23, 2005
  2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Get the bass version.

GEB-7

3. pukeboy66

pukeboy66

Oct 23, 2005
    eheh.....well i guess i wasnt thinking when i put that link up.

but have you had any experience with it?

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Nope. My friend's dad has one but he wouldn't let me try it. I'll try to try it again. What kind of tone are you looking for? Scooped or, erm, not scooped?

5. pukeboy66

pukeboy66

Oct 23, 2005
    scooped :cool:

6. I've got one - nice little pedal.
    I use it right at the start of my signal chain, always turned on, to add the finer touches to my tone.
    Very tough pedal - i've dropped it down stairs a few times - no probs. :cool:
    I must admit - the bypass isn't perfectly clean, but it IS a great pedal for the price, and i'll be keepin mine :)

I'd just do one thing tho - those little white knobs aren't fixed, and may get lost - so glue 'em on!

Any more Q's - feel free to PM me.
    smo

7. I have one.

I use it, i love it, i wont play with out it.
    This pedal is my tone, well this the three band preamp on my mxr m-80 and now i just recently got a boss LMB-3 limiter/enhancer.

with these three pedals i have gotten my tone,
    i will not play with out these pedals.

8. pukeboy66

pukeboy66

Oct 23, 2005
    thanks guys ... based on your reveiws i'll definatly be picking one up in the weeks to come. :)

9. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    +1

i have 2 of them and have already gave them lots of uses

10. pukeboy66

pukeboy66

Oct 23, 2005
    sounds like this thing is a great buy.

11. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    You may also wanna check out the MXR Ten-Band EQ. True bypass, and built like a tank.

Graeme

12. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    It's interesting to compare the two. The MXR is a straight, pure one band per octave; the Boss has odd, supposedly bass-specific frequency centers.

The MXR's lowest center frequency is 31.25, which just happens to be just about exactly the low-B fundamental frequency. From there it goes double-double-double: 62.5, 125, 250, 500, 1K, 2K, 4K, 8K, 16K.

The Boss goes 50, 120, 400, 500, 800, then jumps up to 4.5K and 10K.

Also: the graphics on the control panel imply that the 10K filter is shelving, but the lowest, 50Hz band is peaking.

This all brings a couple things to mind: One is a question about all these oddly-spaced bands meshing together; I doubt that if you raise all the sliders to +6dB, for example, that it would just evenly increase the gain across the spectrum! This isn't necessarily bad, but one should keep this in mind. Also - with a 50Hz peaking filter as the lowest control, does this mean that if you increase the fifty, you're relatively rolling-off your low-end that's below 50Hz??

It's also interesting that the MXR has both a 'gain' and a 'volume' control.

Hm.

Joe

13. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    It's interesting to compare the two. The MXR is a straight, pure one band per octave; the Boss has odd, supposedly bass-specific frequency centers.

The MXR's lowest center frequency is 31.25, which just happens to be just about exactly the low-B fundamental frequency. From there it goes double-double-double: 62.5, 125, 250, 500, 1K, 2K, 4K, 8K, 16K.

The Boss goes 50, 120, 400, 500, 800, then jumps up to 4.5K and 10K.

Also: the graphics on the Boss control panel imply that the 10K filter is shelving, but the lowest, 50Hz band is peaking.

This all brings a couple things to mind: One is a question about all these oddly-spaced bands meshing together; I doubt that if you raise all the sliders to +6dB, for example, that it would just evenly increase the gain across the spectrum! This isn't necessarily bad, but one should keep this in mind. Also - with a 50Hz peaking filter as the lowest control, does this mean that if you increase the fifty, you're relatively rolling-off your low-end that's below 50Hz??

It's also interesting that the MXR has both a 'gain' and a 'volume' control.

Hm.

Joe

14. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

no. Actually if you rise 50hz and then cut some volume to have the seme overall volme, then you are, but only only rising 50hz wont cut the below-50

15. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Not a big fan of my Boss EQ - the guitar version. It hisses, it pops when I turn it on... totally unusable for turning on and off within songs. It also introduces a bit of noise into my signal chain, even when off.

I rarely use it these days. When I do, it's to get a scooped clean sound. Now that I have a Stratocaster that does that naturally, I may pull that sucker out of the chain altogether.

Actually, I use a cheap $20 Rogue EQ more often. It's quieter, no hiss, no noise, and the switch is more dependable. I use that for some song intros to simulate a half open wah, only without the volume boost associated with the wah.

In Boss's defense, I did pick up that pedal used for about $40. Since then, I've bought a Noise Reduction pedal and a V-Wah, both of which I love... I'll probably take my Boss along with a few other older pedals down to my tech guy and see if he can fix the little glitches... like noise in the line, faulty switches, etc, etc, etc...

Although I suspect that it'll be cheaper to buy new... or even better, to wait for Behringer's new line of stompboxes to hit the music stores.

16. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Uh - of course that's what I meant. That's why I said "relatively".

Well in that case, that band layout is odd - I mean I understand that it's 'voiced for bass'... I'm rather expert in audio, and it even takes a little face-scrunching for me to get my brain around what the actual EQ curve looks like for a given setting. In fact I'd say that the term "graphic" is even a bit of a misnomer in this case, being that the horizontal axis isn't really a straight Log scale.

On the other hand, though: Now that I think about it, I guess all that's bugging me is that it isn't really "graphic". I'd probably think it was pretty cool and boutique-ish if the controls were labled "beef, boom, box, honk, nasal, bite and sparkle" or something. It's just not 'graphic'.

Joe

17. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    That would actually be pretty cool :D especially if someone asked what settings you had:
    "Well now, just crank up the beef, honk and boom, you'll sound just like me..."

18. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    My bass amp has controls like "punch", "sparkle", "clarity", "boom", etc, etc on the EQ knobs.

Very cool and very useful when trying to troubleshoot for a specific sound.

19. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    what amp do you have???

I'd love an amp with knobs Beef, Chicken, and Beer :eyebrow:

(sorry to hijack this thread)

BTW I would personally go with the MXR 10 band because of the 30 Hz band

20. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Joe- You made an interesting observation that I never would have noticed, and really an excellent point. Kind of makes sliders more space-saving than utilitarian....

Anyway, if I did not start with a bass that had a certain sound I wanted, than played with a flat EQ, I would go with the MXR.

I just use the amp EQ on passive basses to compensate for the room.