1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss GT-10B and Natural Amp Sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Froaderick, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Froaderick

Froaderick

Sep 26, 2005
    Mine Hill, NJ
    I'm running my Fender Jazz through a boss Gt-10B into a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.2 and I have a question about the natural sound of the bass + amp.

The Jazz I have is the Marcus Miller edition which has a very nice natural tone to it. When running through the GT10B, most of that beautiful tone is lost. I tried initializing a patch to where no effects are enabled and still doesnt quite sound the same. Has anyone here gone through this? Is it just chalked up to running through a multi-effect pedal?

Any input would be appreciated

2. Domespeed

Domespeed

Oct 7, 2010
    Germany
    Have you tried different settings on the "output select" option (the button just below the output level" knob)?

With the setting "Line/Phones" your bypassed sound should be unaltered.

3. Froaderick

Froaderick

Sep 26, 2005
    Mine Hill, NJ
    Thanks Domespeed - I've tried that but thats not giving me the unfiltered sound of a true bypass without actually bypassing. I just want to be able to add effects to the existing sound without compromising the natural tone. I'm wondering if individual pedals would accomplish this better. Anyone know if that's the case?

Thanks!

4. Have you considered using a line switcher?
    Like running one output of the switch to the GT-10B and the other one straight to your amp?

I'm thinking of something like the Boss LS-2 or EH Switchblade.

5. Froaderick

Froaderick

Sep 26, 2005
    Mine Hill, NJ
    i hadn't thought of that. I will look into it. Thanks!

6. Domespeed

Domespeed

Oct 7, 2010
    Germany
    I have been using the GT-10B for years and never heard any altering of the natural sound of my basses - they sound exactly the same with or without the GT-10B (as far as I can tell).

But I encountered some kind of weird comb filtering when the effects loop was active without a device being connected to the return jack (with the send/return in "direct mix" mode).
    Maybe this could be the case with your "bypassed" sound?

7. Froaderick

Froaderick

Sep 26, 2005
    Mine Hill, NJ
    Not sure but I will check that out.

I thought maybe I was going crazy but I asked someone to compare the sound of just the bass hooked to the amp with the GT10B in the mix with no effects active and they could tell there was a dropoff. It's not a huge deal but I really love the sound of the bass and dont want to "water down" the tone. I fully admit it could just be me not knowing what I'm doing :)

8. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    GT-10B should be true bypass if I'm not mistaken, I know the GT-6B had one.

That being said, I'll admit a bias against the Boss multi-fx pedals...had a GT-6B and was VERY underwhelmed with it. If you're ever in the market for a different one, check out the new Zoom stuff. I'm quite impressed with the MS-60B.

9. Froaderick :),
    There are some GT10B videos on youtube from a gent named telsonater where he actually does a bypass comparison. He also has some in depth tutorials. Give it a look if you get a chance. Maybe it will help.
    Take Care,
    Brent

10. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    I think the thing to take into account here is that there is likely a difference between the GT-10B's input impedance, and the impedance of your amp's front end. That'll affect the tone, for sure. When I had my first one (just got a new one the other day) I think all it took was a 2db bump at 500hz in the global eq to balance with what I was hearing plugged straight into my head. That'll depend on your bass/amp etc. but it's worth trying out some subtle tweaks like that.

11. The only real bypass is connected to the tuner and isn't pedal activated. Even then, I've found that even though I've got decent gear (Stingray5 and an SVT-3Pro), my tone was often sounding muddy or a little dead and for the longest time I couldn't figure out why. I've found the biggest problem with the GT-10b is that there are so many places where you can choke the signal, it can be tough to get the pure sound. Depending on what I was plugging into, sometimes I could only turn up the output to maybe 25%. Then of course there are all the points in the effects that can pinch your signal. But you're talking about a clear bypassed tone, so your main goal should be to get the output reasonably open. If the tuner bypass isn't doing it for you, I have one suggestion you might try.

Recently, I tried the four cable method diagrammed on page 15 of the manual (guitar>Boss input, Boss FX send > amp input, amp FX send>BossFX return, Boss main output>amp FX return), and suddenly all the tone problems in my amp went away. Previously, I tried going from the Boss to the amp input, but that forced me to either keep the gain super low or the Boss output super low to avoid clipping or engage the PAD, which I found deadened the sound. Then I gave up on the preamp and plugged straight into the power amp. Pretty good sound, but a little raw and cold. Plus, I no longer could control my volume on the amp. Then I tried the four cables and set up a patch in the BOSS that only has the Effect Send/Return turned on, and voila, my amp came to life! I can turn the BOSS up to a comfortable 12:00 or higher, and my amp's gain is much the same. My amp input just seems to really like receiving the original signal from the BOSS FX send and the final tone from the BOSS output to the amp's FX return. For anyone having trouble extracting the tone they're looking for from the GT-10B, I highly recommend this type of connection. The added bonus is that you can then use the effects chain to surround your guitar and amp's natural tones with effects on either side. Want some compression before the signal hits your amp, but reverb at the end of the chain? Can do! Your amp's preamp has just become one independent element in the BOSS's effects chain. It can be turned on or off and moved wherever you want in the chain. Why didn't I do this years ago?

Oly Spart and bassmutant like this.
  12. After reading the discussion you guys were having here, I decided not to buy this unit after all. I have a 4001 Ric plugged into a Trace Elliot GP7SM250 and I really love the punchy sound I get out of it. The only reason I was looking into the GT-10B was to be able to control the modulation speed of the tremolo with the expression pedal, plus having the fair share of traditional effects everyone needs (e.g. reverb, delay, chorus and compression). I thought maybe I could get two or three separate stomp boxes for the same price, instead buying this huge pedal that may very well drain my tone. You seem to dig this pedal but after seeing the kind of programming trouble you seem to go through only for a plain dry tone, it kind of set me off. Any thoughts on this?

13. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Maybe borrow or rent one and try it out before taking the TB opinions too much to heart...
    My honest, as-unbiased-as-I-can-darn-well-be opinion, is that the GT-10B has no more or less tone suck than any of the handful of pedals I A/B'd it with. And taking into account the fact that you can ditch a bunch of patch cables from the signal path, you're probably way ahead of the game as soon as you replace 4-5 pedals with it. IME etc...
    If you're looking to add it to your board, maybe it's a different ballgame.

14. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    I have looped my GT-10b through my mixer and activated the auto EQ set to flat on the mixer. There is a small dip in the frequency range around 2k with a initialized patch. After adjusting for the dip in frequency response I could tell a difference.