Boss GT-1B vs Boss ME-50B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Super Real, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Super Real

Super Real

Apr 27, 2020
    Hi Boss multi effect pedal fans/users,
    let me hear your voice...

Boss GT-1B & ME-50B,
    which do you like better and why?

Thank you in advance!

2. I have only used the 1b but it would be my number 1 choice of any non flagship option. Second would be b3n.

If you can afford a GT 1000 or Headrush Gigboard, get it ... or maybe a Helix Stomp.

If it must be one of the options you've mentioned, the GT 1b is an incredible unit and will do everything you want, it sounds great!

Super Real likes this.
  3. Gibson Victory

Gibson Victory Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2019
    ME 50 B is and would be my choice. Long proven track record, does more things right than it does wrong. I hate digital displays, unless it’s a last resort. Prefer to twist the knobs verses anything else. It will patch, but I don’t do that. Very rugged, well built. Just an opinion.

Super Real and CaptainWally like this.
  4. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Winton and Super Real like this.
  5. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    And the GT-1B has no power switch. Boo-urns!

+1

Winton and Super Real like this.
  6. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    I think the GT1B when the computer program is utilized fully and you add the foot switches offers more. You can indeed twist knobs on the GT1B to fine tune or make on the fly adjustments to the patch while you're playing, and can still go in depth on the board itself need be, then add the computer and it's a rabbit hole. I spent about 4hours playing around and dialing a dirt patch and a modifier into the CTL1 button to compliment it. over the next few days I just used the board to make minor tweaks and further dial in but really it would only be to adjust to whatever song i was playing with. Does it offer way more than I'll ever need? YUP. But I've also found that playing with the stuff I initially thought was useless has opened my mind up and exploring them has lead to some wild creative sounds and stuff that now I will in fact use. especially the synth stuff. That being said, might I find myself purchasing separate synth pedals later? maybe, but this is gonna save me a lot of time and money deciding what sounds I like and want.

Super Real likes this.
  7. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Yeah, that's a pretty good summary. The GT1B offers more functionality overall, but you need to be prepared for serious scroll menu and/or computer application time. Which I don't like to do at all.

I still the GT1B has two serious drawbacks with its form factor. No power switch and no reasonable bypass solution. Really, the Zoom B3N is a better unit overall, IMHO.

Winton, Super Real and Yonni like this.
  8. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Bypass using the tuner seems pretty convenient, the power switch thing hasn't bothered me much. But I'm anal about putting everything away when I'm finished so unplugging is part of my routine anyways.

9. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Cool. Speaking only for myself, I found bypass clunky/difficult live on the GT1B. Some folks recommend just interlacing one's effects with "blank" patches between each effect as a solution. It's not a solution I like very much though.

The other issue with the GT1B, as is typical with Boss --- the odd "groupings" of effects into certain categories. Not sure why they insist on this. The programming is actually way less intuitive than it needs to be.

The Zoom B3N is just a better unit in this way. More intuitive to program. Better software interface. Easier bypass. Power switch. :)

I do think the pedal-modeled patches in the B3N can be pretty goofy, and some are just outright silly and unusable. Overall, I think the GT1B's sounds are a little better, which, one could argue I suppose, might be what's most important.

For me, it just comes down to not wanting my music (fun) time to be spent on scroll menus and yet one more computer application. I spent at least thirty minutes getting/debugging the driver, installing the app. And then you're looking at quite a project to program the sucker. I learned the whole Boss ME-50B in about 10 minutes, and had programmed my sounds in about 10 more.

As much as I advocate for the Boss ME-50B, I am back to a few pedals again. I dislike managing a pedal board, i.e. velcro engineering, almost as much as scroll menus. But, given I really only need a few sounds, the pedals sound better, my footprint is physically smaller and they are actually easier and more intuitive on stage.

As an aside, I did have the Helix stomp for a brief bit. It's a good unit. It's got a *proper* true bypass that is a one click stomp. Sounds are good, although fairly limited for bass. But you're back to endless scroll menu tweakings and such.

Bottom line, effects can be a PITA. It's an interesting balance to maximize sound quality and minimize PITA-ness.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    Super Real and nuage420b like this.
  10. Super Real

Super Real

Apr 27, 2020
    Thank you very much you guys for the posts, your info and thoughts help me a lot.
    So I have a new Q here:
    Do you guys think the GT1000 is as useable for bassists as for guitarists?

Winton likes this.
  11. I use it for both... some bass amps and effects work really well for guitar and vice versa too so it’s got you covered on all angles with the versatility for really weird and obscure set ups as well as working really well for your standard rigs.

Super Real likes this.
  12. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Scotland
    I have the GT-1B. It has its faults but it’s good enough that every time I look at a separate pedal I come to the conclusion that the GT does the job well enough to save me spending more. It is very adjustable (but yes, you need to put a bit of time into it at first). My one issue is the tuner. I always default to my TU3. It seems more accurate and less clumsy than trying to hit the 2 switches together on the GT. I have no experience with it in a live setting though, so can’t speak about that.

Super Real likes this.
  13. Jek Porkins

Jek Porkins

Jun 9, 2020
    Lacey WA
    I am on my second ME50B. I should have never sold my first one. I also own a zoom b3 and I found that even though its close to as easy to operate as the Boss, it still was not very stage friendly. I'll just keep them both!

14. Gibson Victory

Dec 21, 2019
    As I have mentioned before, you can do this if you want to get weird. Boss approved, No, does it work, Yes. Class dismissed! 537EB303-54E9-4783-B6AB-C51906E40B2E.jpeg

Winton, Super Real and nuage420b like this.
  15. Super Real

Super Real

Apr 27, 2020
    Thank you guys for those new input, I really appreciate.
    It might take more time for me to decide which to go.
    But it's now more enjoyable to make up my mind.
    By the way I love to use my ME-80 for bass, almost only its preamp (but 'clean' only), overdrive/distortion (only BD and TS at best?) and reverb/delay seem to be usable though.

Gibson Victory likes this.
  16. Gibson Victory

Dec 21, 2019
    Finally there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and not a moment too soon. So to all those that travel in that slightly egg shaped orbit around the planet Zagnatz where I reside, here are a couple of hints in regards to running the Boss Me 50B, and the ME 50 in tandem. Run the bass through the 50 B first, and do settings like it was the only thing. Use the pedal as a volume control. Take your time making adjustments. Connect the regular ME 50 afterwards. On that one, set the pedal all the way down, and for a light touch, pick your expression setting here. Be prepared to spend some time tweaking, but will be well worth it. Best to use AC adapters for both, as when used this way they will eat AA batteries for lunch.

Super Real likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021