1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BOSS GT-1B vs ME-50B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jrhemphill, Nov 20, 2018.

1. GT 1B

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. ME-50b

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Jrhemphill

Jrhemphill

Nov 20, 2018
    Thinking about investing in a multi-effects pedal and have narrowed it down to the gt1b or the me50b. Any thoughts or user experience would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. Jrhemphill likes this.
  3. bwildt

bwildt

Mar 21, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    I have no GT-1B experience, but I have used an ME-50B, which oppositely from CaptainWally, I replaced with a Zoom B3n.

I used the ME-50B for a few years. I did add an FS-5U pedal that allowed me to stomp and switch upward through the banks. It did what I needed, but there were 2 things I didn't like about it.

1) The limited display. It only displays the bank# that you are in. There is no naming of patches. It is up to you to remember what the settings of each bank/patch does (where is that chorus patch?).

2) When editing a patch, there is no way to know what the patch option is and where all the parameter knobs are set. The only way to find out is to start turning knobs to notice what changes. Even then you never know what the original settings were and you can't get back to them. Editing a patch is almost like starting over again.

I much prefer my Zoom B3n. You can name patches a descriptive name that you can remember. When editing, all the current parameter settings are visible. You can string effects in any order you wish. Also, I like the amp and cab simulators. You don't get those on the ME-50B. I don't miss the expression pedal on the ME-50B. If I ever need one on the B3n, I'll buy the outboard expression pedal.

Jrhemphill and CaptainWally like this.
  4. I very much agree with this assessment.

The Zoom B3N (and GT-1B) are way, way more versatile and feature-rich. And really, the sounds are a bit better on the GT-1B....Zoom B3N has some good ones, but some are not so good, e.g. I had big trouble with the Octaver. Oh, I mentioned this on my assessment...but since the OP is considering the GT-1B....that unit has NO POWER SWITCH. It's turned on by inserting an instrument cable. Maybe doesn't sound like a big deal, but it's surprisingly annoying. Also, the configuration software for the GT-1B is far worse than Zoom's (although it looks cooler).

What I really don't like about the B3N and GT-1B is the difficulty in getting to bypass.

Really...despite my grumblings....you can't go wrong with any of the three. I'd say if you want a tougher, more "manual" hands-on unit....much easier bypass....and you don't need a lot of different effects, the ME-50B might be good.

If you want lots of digital versatility and features.....and you have numerous and complex patch needs.......oh, and you LOVE scroll menus....definitely either B3N or GT-1B.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Jrhemphill likes this.