Boss GT-1B vs Zoom b3n - sound quality and bypass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rafbass77, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Rafbass77

Rafbass77

Mar 13, 2017
    Italy
    I would like to see a comparison between the b3n and the new boss gt1b.. I'm mainly interested in a comparison of the effects and bypass quality. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  2. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
  3. Rafbass77

Rafbass77

Mar 13, 2017
    Italy
    Sorry, but I did not find it .. I changed the title with what really interests me ..

jimfist likes this.
  4. Cage Match!

5. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    B3n bypass (via tuner/bypass mode) is fine once you've balanced your global output level to match that of your bass when hard-wired to your amp (or next piece of gear in line). Otherwise, if the global setting is vastly different, you'll likely notice a difference when in the B3n's tuner/bypass mode compared to otherwise "normal" operation.

Can't speak the Boss unit since it's not available yet that I know of.

6. Rafbass77

Rafbass77

Mar 13, 2017
    Italy
    Small comparison with old b3 ..

7. Dude, the metalzone is a killer pedal, people who hate on it haven't dialed it in beyond scooping it I bet :p

How about the distortion / high gain settings on the boss, any good??

Iristone likes this.
  8. Rafbass77

Rafbass77

Mar 13, 2017
    Italy
    Is there anybody out there?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  9. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    :whistle: I am just lurking in the shadows, waiting . . . .

Rafbass77 likes this.
  10. When I finally get my GT1B I'll compare the two, seems it won't happen otherwise :p

Stu_Bass, Rafbass77 and gumtown like this.
  11. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    I've got both, but have zero time at the moment.

I haven't tried the bypass on either one. I don't use them like that.

What follows is personal opinion, preference, and opinion.

Effects quality is comparable between the two. When coupled with an additional foot switch, I prefer the switching on the GT. Moving through the B3n's chain feels slow and clunky, very annoying when you have things at both ends you want to turn on/off. I like the built-in expression pedal on the GT. Always have a volume pedal, and press the toe down for your wah. Very nice.

Setting up a full chain, I always feel like I'm running out of room on the B3n. I haven't gotten that feeling on the GT very often. Only a few times where I wanted two varieties of the same category in the same patch. Others may do that more often, but it's not in the realm of how I tend to use it.

Honestly, I constantly complain about little things on both, but it's little things. Never the sound.

The main reason I'm leaning toward the B3n is the B7K. Love it. If only it were an Ultra.

12. My plan is to run G5n into a guitar amp, b3n into b3 into bass amp for guitar and bass rig 1.

Then

Run boss gt-1 and boss gt-1b into studio monitors or frfr/ run direct, for rig 2.

I'll then compare the two.

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

We really need accurate testing and measurements.

My long time experience with the B3 and short time with the B3n are that I'm not able to discern digital bypass against actual physical bypass of the unit.
    Somebody on TB tested the B3n with recording and sound wave comparison and B3n and reached the same conclusion.

My even shorter time with the GT-1B has been that the bypass is unbearably bad and the unit would require to be put in a bypass loop to be properly usable. Now, other members tried the GT-1B and didn't seem bothered at all by the bypass.

It's all I have for now. Maybe my test was too short, maybe I had a bad connection or did something wrong, or maybe it is really bad but good enough for some people. I don't know.

14. I'll try the bypass into an amp on both too when I can and see how it goes. Both tuner bypass and empty chain bypass.

15. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky
    While it's nice to have scientific data the real test is does it sound good to you? Does it do what you need? If not then find a different unit or units that fill your needs. There are many amps, basses and effects that look good on paper but sound like doo doo. There are people that can play out of a steaming pile of horse manure and sound amazing and there are people that can plug a $20k bass into a $10k amp with a $300 cable and sound like a broken transistor radio. Use your ears, it's that simple.

woody357 and Zon master like this.
  16. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    I tested it out tonight. Using an empty patch and a true bypass fx loop, I literally cannot tell the difference between it being in the loop and out. That's true of both the GT and the B3n. Maybe somebody else could pick out a difference. Maybe I need to listen through a FRFR monitor. Maybe a spectographizer could show you the difference, but I couldn't hear it.

I was hoping to record a quick demo, but my interface option at the moment is...my GT-1b. That obviously won't work for this. :)

I bought a Roland go mixer to try and record on my phone...and it doesn't come with a usb type C cable. Grrrrrrr. My mixer supposedly works as a usb interface, and my daw picks it up as an input, but I get no sound. I can't get my iRig to do anything. Failure after disappointing failure.

I had 4 pedals all ready to go, too. Battalion, Boneshaker, GT-1b, and B3n. Set up with similar sounds, but not identical. I hope I can get a recording done at some point. Just need to figure this out.

17. Rafbass77

Rafbass77

Mar 13, 2017
    Italy
    In my opinion the gt1b sounds much more natural and organic than the b3n and respects the sound and character of the instrument more. I have not tried it yet, but from the videos I found on the net I understand this. The b3n the most I use it and the more I find synthetic.

18. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    upload_2017-9-11_19-45-50.png

j/k :laugh:

19. TodaysTomSawyer

TodaysTomSawyer Supporting Member

May 2, 2017
    N. Oklahoma
    Agreed. From the sound demos and in store demos its sounding like the GT-1B is using the same modelling and algorithms as my Boss RV-500. Which is impressive for GT-1B price range

20. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    all that comparison based on a youtube video, huh? Impressive. I wish I could reach such definitive conclusions so easily.

eff-clef likes this.