Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Does anybody own/ever used one of these?

I'd love to own one for soloing purposes :D

How much do they cost?

Btw, anyone have a link to the BOSS site? I kinda forgot
  2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    You can find BOSS info at the site.

I have a GT-3 that I use for effects on the treble strings of my Chapman Stick. I got mine for $229 used before the GT-6 came out-I bet they're cheaper now. Be sure to get a manual if you buy one-you'll need it.

The strong suit of the GT-3 is its versatility and programmability. You can choose from a bunch of effects and put them in any order, and ANY parameter can be changed by the expression/control pedals. There's also an external effects loop that you can put anywhere in the FX chain, and of course it's got super-solid Boss build quality.

I'm not particularly crazy about the preamp models-I don't find them very realistic, but the rest of the effects are great. There's a good variety of OD/dist/fuzzes, classic Boss phaser/flanger/chorus/delay/reverb, and useful comp/lim and EQ. I've actually gotten some good mileage from the weirder effects like Slicer, Auto Riff, and Synth, and the unit inspires me to come up with cool sounds on a regular basis.

Several things make it less useful for bass: the distortions don't have the ability to blend in a clean signal (though the preamps do), and the low EQ only goes down to 100hz. Plus it's conspicuously lacking a dedicated Octaver effect (I don't really like the Harmonizer) and the autowah is not very funky. Aside from this it's great-I use it for home recording as my main effects processor, and its versatility and tweakability really set it apart from other units.