BOSS GT-6B as a preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dadodetres, Jan 1, 2005.

1. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    im posting this in this forum bacause i want your opinion on tis effect unit as a preamp , not for the effescts,

since im looking for a pre amp to finish my rig, y thought i could get something like a gt6b, so i can have my effects and presets and usit as a pre amp, so i will dial my sound out of it, so i y play in other amp, i will still have the sound i choose.

how can it works as a pre amp? sending the signal dorectly into a crossover and then into the power amp. im using a yamaha 500+500 amp with a SWR goliath JR and a yamaha 1x18. playing a 77 jazz bass.

also, how is the compressor in the gt6b? i have only a compressor level or i have both treshhold and ratio levels? how many band eq do i have?

ok, thacks a lot for the input!
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound

The Boss GT6B does have a pre-amp in it as well as a 3 band eq section. It has 4 different types of compressors. As far as using the GT6B the way you would want I don't know, but I don't see why not.
  3. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I have not used my GT-6B as a pre into power amps - but I have used it to record my MTD535 and Pedulla PentaBuzz direct (both xlr and digital out) and find it sounds quite good. I think the on-board compressors and pre-amp simulations sound good but some of the parameters are fairly strictly defined and limited.

I generally don't like the on-board amp and cab models for straight sounds - but if you're looking for tweeked and unconventional sounds they help out quite a bit. They're really just EQ and compression after all.

I had considered doing what you're talking about to achieve a live stereo set-up. I still may. Over time - I've really come to like my GT-6B. I got mine on ebay for less that $300.00. At that price - it's a pretty versitile piece of gear.
  4. I don't think the preamp in the GTB6 would be hot enough to drive a power amp (depending upon the sensitivity of the amp I guess). I have tried it in the effects return of my swr and it didn't work. It really is designed to go in front of a preamp YMMV. etc

5. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

The gt-6b has a three band fully parametric eq, adjustable from -50 to +50 db in each of the three bands. Q is adjustable from .5 to 16, I believe. Each band has a number of set frequencies to choose from, covering a wide range. I use it as a footswitchable slap eq, not as a preamp. The unit also has a number of amp and speaker modelers as well. Truth be told, they're not bad to my ears.
    You'll have 2 compressor models and 2 limiter models to choose from: a boss comp, mxr dyna comp, vtg(?) and dbx 160. If you want more info send me a PM. Currently I'm at my giirlfriends house, who lives 2 hours away from me (college, you know), but I'll be able to answer any other q's you have as soon as monday.
    Happy hunting,
  6. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    thanck everyone fort the info!

i read a lot of reviews in Harmony central, and almost everyone agree that the pre amp is the GT6B is week....

also, when you say 3 band parametric eq, does it means bass treble, and mid (mids including Q and freq) or you mean only the Q, the freq and the level on the mids?
  7. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    My crossover has at least 15db of gain, does yours? I can use weak preamps through my crossover into my poweramp because of this extra gain stage.