Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BOSS GT 6B Bas effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tiger9695, May 18, 2002.

1. I just bought the Boss GT6B effects board, and I am really happy with it!! I posted earlier in the Month that I was looking for advise, and you all helped out "Very Much". The effect takes time to learn, then play around with to tweek "your" sound into it....lots of headroom for creativity as well as keeping the basics "BASIC"...my playing style is that of a progressive edge, "Yes, ELP, Stanley Clark, Geddy Lee" to name a few, so having the true bit bypass as well as the multiple effects is a great plus to my rig. I run it through my rack mount sans amp DI and into a hartke head and it is sooooooo sweet!!! It is for me, worth the ($400.00) investment (IMHO). I can't wait to work with the midi extensions on it. One big plus too for me was the XLR outputs in stereo or mono!!!

Bernie "The Tiger" :D
    Y.I.T.B.O.T.P.

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    They are nice aren't they!!!!! I haven't had a lot of time to play with mine - some of the presets are pretty cool, although a lot of them are a bit naff.

Same old story with multi effects with factory programmed patches!!!!

The bypass is very good as well ,and having the expression pedal built into the metal chasis is great!

3. Yeah, Boss Bass Effects are killer :rolleyes:

And COSM models of them are even worse.

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey Donne,

Do you still own that Digitech BP8 & Korg AX1B?

5. No, I dumped the BP 8 for a Fulltone Bass Drive.
    After a year of Digitech BP8 ownership I decided that one good effect was better then a lot of bad ones. Major BP8 disappointment: the bypass was a real tone sucker.

The Korg AX1B got sold for a power conditioner.

I'm now a born-again "less-is-more," convert.

Through a decade of experience and spending thousands on effects & gear due to GAS and searching for the hold grail of tone, I have learned three things:

1. Analog is sweet, organic and Digital Sucks
    2. True Bypass is the ONLY way to go.
    3. Three effects at a time is the Limit

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Makes sense to me. Listen, I've got a GT-6B headed to me and I happen to think that it's a pretty nice unit. I've read your comments regarding it and I respect your opinion. I do disagree with your opinion on it's value as an effects processor. It's not analog but I would have to say that it's a much better unit than either of the two that you previously owned. It's going to be a nice addition for me but I didn't pay $400.00 for it. Maybe that's why I feel better about owning mine. ;)

7. Excellent!

A good deal always allows you to get your money back out of it (if/when) you out grow it.

I bought my BP8 really cheap and was able to sell it for exactly what I paid for it after two years of use.

Free school.

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That's the plan. Tread water for a while, experiment with some different sounds and then when I've come to a conclusion about what effects I plan to use long term, I'll snag a few quality pedals to use.

9. I have found the posts here interesting and respect the opinions, but I have been playing the Bass for almost 30 years now, and have heard and used many effects as well as working my core favorite sound (check out Squire's Bass sounds of the 70's).
    Now having such an interest in a huge influences of music, from world sound to jazz, classical, all rock and instrumental/percussive.....I love the diversity of sounds you can get with this unit, and I have used the digitech in the past, found the patches average but overall a very noisey. I believe it is all about each players sound that makes the "Player" happy!! I have a great rig setup and love my sound!! So do those who I play with and for...This is IMHO a great tool to use if someone is looking to experiment with different melodies and sounds...and has a diverse playing backgrond..after all, if I wanted to sound like "Korn" or bands like them, I would not need effects that give me headroom....as they are great bands...I like diversity and melody.

Thanks for all the feedback!!
    Bernie

Y.I.T.B.O.T.P.

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Hey youz folks with the GT6b;
    does it pitch-shift? Just wondering...if so, how does it do? OK?

I just got my V bass, but they forgot the p'up, so I'm just using the effects, and wondering how similar it is to the Boss.

Which OD/distortions does it model?
    I'm really liking the Bass OD model. Fat!

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Each to their own!