Boss GT-6B - It is any good?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KevinC, Dec 28, 2003.

1. KevinC

KevinC Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2002
    West Des Moines, IA
    Just curious to see a few opinions on the Boss GT-6B. Is it worth the money? I will be using it "live" more than in studio, etc.

2. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    There's a few posts about this unit on here already- namely the one comparing to the digitech.
    I bought it as it was offered for a very good price and some things on it are very good. It can take a bit of time to adjust the settings on it to get the tones that you want.

Goods(things that are useful)- Volume and wah are very, very good. As are the chorus, the variety of overdrive/distortions (but were not talking fulltone bassdrive here) reverbs and delays. It has a true by pass which can be a blessing. built like the proverbial brick ****house.

The preamp/ cabinet models do make for interesting home recordings and the scope for making different usable tones is high. They don't sound exactly like the originals because they're not they're not- but for budget recording situations they really aren't that bad. I've yet to find out exactly how useful the midi in and out is.

The averages- A stack of fx that are ok but are beaten hands down by more lovingly created individual use stompboxes. The flanger- phaser and compressors (surely this should have been one of the focal points!)

The bads- No fx loop, noisy preamp,there is no dual band compression and it's ALL DIGITAL! (read this as good or bad depending from your perspective)- The synth on it is very very lo-fi not in a good way either- probably the most dissapointing feature, with a long time fiddling around with it it can make some interesting sounds but nothing usable -sounds just get lost in the mix- THE TRACKING IS AWFUL~ which limits the octaver and synth and there's no envelope fliter (come on lads- what were you thinking!).

If you get offered it for a bargain price then it's a very usable peice of equipment. If you have issues with the digital world and are expecting this nifty peice of floor equipment to get you the tones of les Wimbwootenwootenpepper- then think again. It is not the be all and end all and I probably wouldn't consider it pro end (even though it claims to be). Never the less in certain situations it is very imressive- if you have the time and energy to get to know it. The presets are a joke, so don't expect to be able to just plug in and unleash the sonic assault that you've always dreamed of- but with a little time and fiddling, you can get some patches that are close.
  3. If you're searching for "an ethereal flange" a "deep resonant chorus" or "a gut busting overdrive", they you're better off getting seperate pedals, each effect the best you can find for your needs.

This is an excellent tool to give you everything in one package, but none of the effects are the best out there. They are Boss effects, and if you use primarily Boss effects, then it's perfect. Like dirtgroove said, it's built like a tank and is very flexible. In a live application, it does a great job. If you're an audio-quality freak, then you might find some issues with it.

The synth is exactly the same as the Boss Bass synth pedal, which means it really sucks at tracking bass notes. Chorus, phaser, flanger, delay, reverb, noise gate, etc. are all better than good.
  4. KevinC

KevinC Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2002
    West Des Moines, IA
    Thanks much for your input gentlemen. I very much appreciate it. I played with one in a local store today and have not made up my mind at this point.

At this time I have a Boss CEB3, OC2 and a Ibanez SB7 Synth pedal. They all work just fine, I guess I am just looking for a few more sounds and colors that I have not gotten with my current stuff.

Thanks again!
  5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm also thinking of getting a GT-6B and have a few specific questions that I haven't seen answered in previous threads. I already own a GT-3 that I use for guitar and the melody side of my Chapman Stick so I'm aware of the digital sound and "Bossness" of the effects.

However, between the effects routing and real-time control capabilities (including MIDI) it has the ability to make some truly remarkable sounds. I've fooled around with the GT-6B several times and am intrigued. I think the key to using these Boss multiFXs is to start with a clean tone and add only the effects you need, and carefully assign the control and expression pedals to useful parameters--something that can't be done with boutique stompboxes.

1) Can the parametric EQ be used independently from the preamp/speaker models? On the GT-3 there are separate preamp and EQ sections but the layout of the GT-6B seems to group the parametric as part of the preamp section.

2) Is the "effect level" knob basically a clean/FX blend control and does it work with all the effects (including distortion and wah)?

3) Dirtgroove--what do you mean by no envelope filter? The GT-6B I tried had a number of autowah settings and the 12-02 Bass Player review said "The WAH effects include numerous tweakable autowah gurgles as well as standard vintage wah models."

4) Anyone ever had problems with the internal memory battery or firmware? I've never had problems with my GT-3 but I've seen a number of reviews on Harmony Central citing difficulties with the GT family.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  6. Undert0ad

Oct 28, 2003
    nr Philly
    Another newb question... I'm putting together a cheap preamp/power setup and I was wondering whether this unit would do as the pre for the time being. It would be nice to get the effects, and if one of the amp modelers wasn't half bad that would make it very cost-effective. I realize they won't be absolutely perfect. My goal is primarily to be road-ready. TIA for any thoughts.
  7. KevinC - The GT-6B will have a few more sounds than just chorus, octave, and the Ibanez Synth...for what it's worth, if you like the Ibanez Synth, there's no other synth out there that does what it does the way it does it. If you went with the GT-6B, you could always hook the Ibanez into the chain anyway.

winston - I only had mine for about 3 weeks (the GC trial period), so I'll try to share what I remember: 1) I seem to remember that you can 'activate' the parametric EQ by pressing a button. It's still in the preamp section, but can be turned on and off. 2) I'm pretty sure the effect level is the overall volume of the unit in relation to the clean signal from your bass. So, yes, it is a clean/fx blend which works with the entire box...I think. 3) Yep, autowah's a-plenty, but nothing on it that's called an 'envelope filter'. 4) no experience with internal battery or firmware.

Undert0ad - A buddy of mine just picked this up and is using it this way: Bass - GT-6B - power amp - Ampeg 8x10. It kills. The amp models aren't POD quality, but they are pretty good, and in a live application they do great. The only downside with having a floor-based unit is that you're always stooping over to tweak something when normally you just turn around and face your amp. It does work, though, and unless you're in a super-clean, progressive Jazz trio playing at a 5 diamond resort, nobody in the audience would have any issues with sound quality.
  8. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Sorry if this reply's a little late-
    some answers to questions Winston.
    1. Yes the eq can be used seperately from the preamp.
    2.The effect level nob is not a blend button. Each effect (or most of them) have seperate levels for the effect and clean sounds.
    3. Yes there is a wah, and the manual wah is the most versatile that I have used. There is an auto wah and and a touch wah too, which are ok. My gripe is that there's no juicy, fat, and squelchy, swweep- I said envelop filter because I was thinking of the likes of a q-tron, mutronIII... or whatever. And there really isn't anything that even attempts to emulate this. Digitech managed a decent/budget attempt at this in their x series synthwah and Yet Boss appear to have overlooked it altogether- seriously- can you think of an effect out there that's more fun?
    4. The internal memory seems fine, but saving settings can be a real headache.-ie customising one overdrive can lead to replacing all the other overdrive patches if you're not very, very careful.-When the internal memory battery is running low on power the unit will show this on the display giving you time to get it fixed.

I hope this answers your questions.
  9. EKG

Jan 4, 2004
    mannheim, Germany
    I'm a professional musician and I bought this thing about one year ago. for live situations it's the best you can get, espacially if you playin with more than one bass in the setup. the most important parameters are on the knobs and you can easily connect every parameter to the expression pedal, so you could crossfade between two effects, e.g.

If you play much live, then get it, it's a very, very useful tool.

best wishes...
  10. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Can this unit simulate an upright, acoustic bass sound? Or would I be looking at something like the Roland V-Bass? I play with an 18 piece big band, using a bass guitar, and it would be nice to be able to sound like an upright on some tunes.
  11. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I've heard many say the ME-8B is better.
  12. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    It can't simulate an upright bass. It attempts to simulate a frettles which is painful enough- I think you'd be looking at the V unit for that but I'm not certain.
  13. The boss GT6B is without a doubt the best digital multieffect I've tried. Every effect is tweakable even far beyond the origional pedals, and each sound is as natural as if it came through analog circuitry. It's definately the aphex of floor based multi effects.
  14. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Thanks, Dirtgroove. That's what I suspected. :)

15. I'd agree with this. However, it was way more than I reckoned I'd ever need, and I eventually sold mine in favour of individual stomp boxes that I new I'd use!