1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BOSS GT-6B or ME-50B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nathan, Mar 27, 2006.

1. nathan

nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    I need some good effects, and i've decided either to get the Boss GT-6B or the ME-50B. Does anybody know anything about either of these two floorboards? Does one have more effects than the other or better quality? If you have either one of these, please let me know what you think of it!

thanks,
    nate

2. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I first got the GT6B and even bought the bag for it. It definitely has more and better effects than the ME50B but for me it became a pain setting it up. It has a big power supply that you have to plug in and the unit itself is heavy. I finally sold it at a loss and bought the ME50B which can run on batteries and has just enough effects for me. I find it easier to adjust during a performance and it fits in my gig bag.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The GT6B is more powerful and capable. The ME50 is easier to get into.

4. I just got the me-50b a few days ago. It is cheaper, smaller, and easier to use than the 6. I think it is the better choice, unless you plan on using a billion diff. sounds. I am in a modern alternative/grunge band and the funny thing is, I don't use any of the sounds. I basically bought it for the chorus so I can play Tool. But, I wanted the option of using other sounds if I needed them.
    D

5. personally, i use stomp boxes. they are much easier to set up for the effects that you want, volume control is easier, no worries about spending hours scrolling through options. just the pedals that i need, none that i don't. for example, i use:

Boss Delay DD-6, Dunlop Cry Baby Bass Wah or Morley Power Wah Boost (vintage mutha), Boss Flanger, Boss Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Tech 21 Sansamp DI. I have them set up in that order. looking to add a few more pedals, or possibly switch one or two out.

6. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    I had the GT-6b, I hated it and sold it within 6 months. While it had a bizillion options and some very cool effects, it was a complete pain in the balls. If all you want is some chorus, flange and delay just get the stomps. If you are looking for phaser, envelope filter, phrase sampler, stay away from the GT6B. There some decent compression settings and all kinds of modelers, but I'm with burtonisalive, nothing comes close to the stomp designed specifically for the effect you want.

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    If you have a decent amp, then you wouldn't need the amp modelling of the GT6B, the effects in the ME50B should be more than sufficient...if you're running direct, then the amp modelling in the GT6B would be helpful, but it's difficult to set up and make change on the fly...great in the studio though...

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Just kind of a parallel, but with my V-Bass I never make on-the-fly-adjustments (except for that first gig or two with it before I figured out how things would sit in the band mix) - I do design my presets though, so that I can vary wet-dry mix or pregain into an amp model or the OD/DIST or whatever, as a performance tool.

9. I choose the -6B. It does take tons of tweaking, but once you get the right settings you can switch through effects very easily. And you can control any effect value with the expression pedal, which is pretty cool. I actually like the phaser and envelope filters on it, but they do need to be tweaked. The OD/Dist is decent, I hate the modeling and don't use it. Pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it, but that does take some time. The compressors sound more like an effect than an element of your tone; I may get an external compressor sometime. This thing has tons of cool effects I like to use- slow, which is like a volume swell, phase shifter, octaver is OK, and just all around good FX unit. The one thing that I like a lot about it over single pedals is that you don't have to dance to get your sound for each song. Once you get your effect, save it and its ready for when you need it. No dials to get messed up either. The ME-50B is good if you like more plug and play, but I think that you can get better sounds by tweaking a -6B.

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    If its compressor is anything like the V-Bass's it takes some time to get the best out of it. The V-Bass one switches between a rack-mount mode they call LIMITER though it also compresses depending on settings, and a mode called COMPRESSOR which is a lot more like your typical stompbox sustain-type (which I rarely use).

11. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Got the ME-50B. Nice unit but a few drawbacks. Making some good subtle tones on it which is rad.

The phase, flange, chorus etc are good. Some nice tonal effects and good drives.

The synths suck so dont buy it for them. And also the compressors arent great. I'm thinking of getting a separate compressor to go with it.

But, easy to use. Heaps of room to experiment.

I guess it boils down to what you need. Gt-6 might be overkill if you dont want amp modelling, then again the me-50b might be overkill if all you want is a couple of effects.

Ive found its a good place to start for me cause i didnt know exactly what effects i wanted to use.

12. DeadMike

DeadMike

May 17, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    I've got the ME-50B, as well. I love mine. I'll admit, everyone is right when they say the synths and compressors aren't the greatest, but it is such a great overall value.

Specifically for me, I only use the analog controls. I've never used nor made presets, which works out really well for me since I grew up on analog pedals. The only downside is that sometimes, I'd like to be able to use phaser/flanger/chorus simulatenously, which I suppose I could get a preset going.

I guess there really aren't any downsides.