Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BOSS GT-6B REALLY TRUE BYPASS?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Jul 17, 2005.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    So frustrated! i have been looking for the best way to add a couple of effects to my signal. I have tried a Digitech Synth Wah ( nice pedal, but still not it ) and a Boss Bass Chorus-
    well, today i gave in and said what the heck, they say this is the best multi fx unit out there, true bypass, great tone, blah, blah....
    so i put out the $ and brought home a Boss GT-6B - i have spent and hour to find out that
    1- no way to make the synth track cleanly or sound like anything
    2- the usable effects are the same old stuff
    3- when i bypass the unit , it still colors the tone- when i plug in direct, THERE'S THE TONE! what the heck? ANOTHER trip back Sam Ash to get my $ back.. bummer.
    Is it me, or do other GT owners hear this?

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    try the bass pod xt live which is the only other one that might possibly be ok. IMHO single effects are the way to go though.

3. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Or you can just try a LOOOPER... I should really be getting payed for this...

:p

Alex

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i'm hip to the looper, and it seems great, but damn, add another and piece to the setup? man, i think i am going plain ol direct into the amp, forget fx! i hear a difference even going wireless with a top of the line unit! nothing sounds as good as cable between the bass and amp. period.

5. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    That makes no sense... Wireless ALWAYS colors your tone, way more than any pedal ever would - no matter how expensive it was. If you feel that "nothing" sounds better than bass into amp - WHY are you even trying effects??? :eyebrow:

Alex

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    that's what i said, even top of the lines wireless units suck my tone.
    i am coming to my conclusion after trying effects once again, i figured every 7 years or so technology might have gotten good enough to produe a nice effect unit- i would like some chorusing that doesnt sound like cheese, an octaver that works, and maybe an envelpope synth type thing, but even the stompboxes seems to suck out tone.
    ps- after spending more time with it, i am amazed at how much senseless stuff they put in these things- autoslap. why? the defretter is a joke. the synth is unusable. the octaver in the Digitech Synth Wah is better than this as is the envelope. I am really disappointed in Roland/ Boss with this one.. it is boxed up and ready to go back...

7. you get what you pay for.

as far as effects sucking your tone... they all do.
    True bypass pedals even mess up your tone because it's just more cable and more distance between you and your amp. That being said I have about 9 pedals between me and my amp... that's what I want and I am willing to deal with the tone. I have a few true bypass loop pedals in there to clean it up and though I can hear the difference when I am running through the two loopers and when I am running through everything, most people can't.

If you don't NEED effects for what your playing then don't use them... If you are playing in a avant-garde-techno-prog-noise-dance duo then you want as many sounds as possible and learn to live with the consequences... and expect to pay big $ for good effects that don't totally destroy your tone.

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    well, i paid for the " Most Powerful Bass Effects in History " it says so right there on the box. :rolleyes:
    the reason i started to look into effects is that i start a new show gig where there is a lot of soundscape, as in during an acrobatic act and such. I thought some quick funky synthy stuff that tracked well would work nicely, and it does, as i used a V bass and also a stomp box blend of envelope and chorus. I just came upstairs from messing around with a bass and listenig to it straight in and the tone is great, it may be that i need to add the effect to that tone rather than replace it , thus a looper with a blend pot might be the ticket- as in adding chorus or envelope to the straight tone that i love.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You can add a preamp stage after your tone sucking effects to restore some of the lost tone if you like.

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    it's mostly in the character of the hi end, and i really doubt once it's out of there it can be put back in. Also, the envelopes ( which suck ) have no mix with the dry signal control- these guys should know this stuff is crucial to bassists-
    nothing like a $400 box to make your $3000 bass sound like a $300 one.
    Damn, a MASTER mix function would be nice instead of "humanizer" fx and the above mentioned horrid fretless imitation. It surpirse me that Boss is still using that dead quacky envelope sound, too- i have to say, i liked the Digitech Synth Wah pedal- if i decide to go that way, that's one i will get back. The octave actually tracked and some of the synths were pretty clean. The only thing i like about the Boss is the choruses, and i aint paying $400 for just chorus, if i do, i'm going with a lexicon or such.

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I tried the ME50B and if that is any indication of Boss' env filter then I don't blame you for not liking it. I ended up with a Digitech BSW.

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    believe it or not, the cheaper ME50B has better envelopes, still cheesy, and the octaver is in the same module, so no octave/envelope -
    i'm surprised Digitech has it more together with the BSW.

13. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    maybe the digitech bnx3 would fare better? haevnt used one myself though, and the bass pod xt live seem to be the other two remaining top-end multis.

fwiw, the synths on the boss me-8b are great, but there's not much else on the unit that you would find useful from the things you mentioned. the octaver is far worse than the digitech.

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    so it makes sense that Boss went
    backwards when they put the synths in the gt-6b - :meh:
    i have heard the digitech bnx3 is quite noisy and to tell the truth, i hate when guitarists use their mulitifx units, they sound so thin- part of why i was so pleasantly surprised at the BSW

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

For what it's worth, the GT-6B isn't true bypass and I've never seen it advertised as such.
    You want to go with individual high quality pedals if you want no added coloration.
    I wonder, why do you use effects if you want no different color to your tone.
    As for true bypass and as said before, a Loooper or other similar pedal will do it fine for cheap.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Boss maintains that it is- they advertise it right on the box.
    http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/GT-6B/

Adrian, I'm sure you've heard effects on record that you like the sound of....find out what those guys were using and see if you can track down the same or similar pedals for yourself; many of them are probably not great quality units themselves, but sound good on record anyways. Effects in a recorded band session sound a lot different than when you're playing alone in your house.

17. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Sorry:

"True analog bypass and 24-bit converters for uncompromised sound quality"

In no way means "True Bypass". What it means is that when bypassed your signal is not being converted from ananlog to digital, then back to analog via ADA converters. It is however run through the pedals "buffered bypass" much like all the other Boss pedals out there... These tricky buggers are tryin' REAL hard! Its like when a cheap bike says "Made of 100% Carbon Steel Aloy" of course it is for christ sake - steel is made from carbon as is everything else...

The men in the glass towers who make these sort of things like to try and confuse us... Never forget that, they are the devil. :scowl:

cheers

Alex

18. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    What about the effects loop? Would the signal be effected if you're plugged direct into the unit and you have the GT-6B plugged in through the effects loop (assuming your unit has one) on bypass? I'm wondering this myself, because I have the GT-6B and loop. I'll try some experimenting maybe tomorrow.

19. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you want true bypass, just use a loooper or something similar.

20. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    A true bypass looper, homemade, isn't expensive, and is the solution for true bypassing a multifx.

4 jacks, 1 3pdt, 1 led, wire, enclosure. About 15$. ;)

Or you can mod the GT-6B to include the looper in it. There is room for that in the enclosure, I think. You'll save the 3$ of the enclosure in the 15$ for the looper. ;)