Boss GT-6B vs Bass Pod vs Korg PX4B vs...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by firstbassman, Sep 14, 2004.

1. firstbassman

firstbassman Apples & Dirges

Sep 6, 2004
    NYC/Northern NJ
    So I'm still trying to fix my live sound - it gets lost in the mix, I play direct into a DI into the mixer without going through an amp. I've gotten various ideas from many of you, so I kind of want to crystallize the choices I'm considering and see if that helps clear my head.

I'm not really a purist, so analog vs digital doesn't bother me that much. The band doesn't play anything that requires much distortion, so that's not a big factor. My main bass is a vintage Rick 4001 - not that versatile, but I'll never get rid of it.

Since I only play through the mixer, I would think that an amp modeler would make sense as I have none.

I have a Korg Pandora PX4B, but I've never used it live, just for practice. Don't know if that's my solution right there.

My budget here probably maxes out at around $300 - I'd like to stay married...

Here are some of the things that are in the running:

Boss GT-6B (or ME-50B)
    Line 6 Bass Pod (best version i can find for $)
    Sansamp DI
    New Fender Jazz (reco. by bassist at local store - Japanese import can be had for around $300)

So, what would you do?
  2. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Is it the problem relate to power section since you have no amp?

This unit is definitely for practice only I think.

I have checked out Both Boss GT-6B, ME-50B, Bass Pod and Sansamp DI. IMO, Bass Pod are work great in studio situation only while Boss's stuff are work great in live. Their Amp Mod. is pretty cool I think. If I need to get a Multi-effect or amp sim. unit, I will choose them for sure. but my concern is that, first, it is seems you don't need effect in your playing and second, if the power of the house PA isn't enough to bring the bass out from the mix. The advantage that you can take from GT-6B and ME-50B is increasing the input signal and adjust the EQ only. But I don't think it helps a lot.

I don't know my suggestion is works or not,but I will advice to get a Sadowsky Preamp/D.I. box. It is a pretty powerful pre I have ever play and they cost only $200. I think some people here will follow what I said, The sound of Sad's D.I thru house PA is cool and kick ass! Also, You can try to get a Equalizer pedal to adjust your bass's EQ to cut through the band

It is my thoughts only, hope this help. :)
  3. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    what's the point of effects if you can't hear them?

bottom line. . . save more money - you need an amp.
  4. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I normally go straight to a DI box and to the mixer, and I have no problems getting heard. :scowl:

However, my recommendation goes to an MXR M80 DI. Just another thought if you were looking at something Sansamp related. :p
  5. Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    Do you want effects at all, you didn't mention really wanting them, just that you are looking to sound better through a mixer. I suggest a DI for this situation, although the problem might very well be the mixer and PA, which in that case they are the problem.
  6. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA

And that applies to firstbassman in what way exactly? :rollno: Clearly he's not getting the results that you have.
  7. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    The SansAmp Bass Driver DI is great and well suited to your Ric... A wide range of sounds can be had and you'll carry it everywhere with you.... :)
  8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, that's a great point.

You have a Ric, which should have no problem cutting through. Sorry, if this is a stupid question, but have you played with boosting mids on the mixer you're going through?

If that's not possible, or you tried it with no success, then from what you say, I guess your main comparison here is stompbox/DI pedal vs amp modeller. I wouldn't recommend the Pandora for live use, it's fiddly and a bit noisy.

Personally, from my own experiences with amp modelling the results have sounded better on tape than live. In your situation, if I needed effects I'd go with the me-50b and use the eq on that. If I didn't need effects, I'd go with a stompbox preamp/DI such as the MXR, Sansamp, Sadowsky, Fodera, EBS etc.
  9. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK

Ahh, sorry, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were criticising going straight to mixer regardless.

But your right, if he cant be heard then yes, an amp would be a good thing.