Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

boss gt-6b vs. digitech bnx3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cods, Aug 21, 2004.

1. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The Boss GT-6B is true bypass.....I big plus for me.

2. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    anyone else?

3. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    No contest, the red one looks way better.

- sounds ok too if you turn the amp modelling off.

4. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Oh yeah...I don't use the amp modelling either.

5. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    didn't see this thread a few minutes ago so i'll post my question here: what do you think of the boss gt-6b (i think thats the name?)... i was looking at that for a while now, does anyone on here own it or have used it before? i'm not too knowledgeable but i want somethign that has different effects in one unit, i don't really want a bunch of pedals and only play alone--no band or anything yet. so i'm just wonder what all does this unit do? does it have a tuner in it too?

also "jerry" what does true bypass mean in your above posting?

thanks,
    David.

6. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    True-bypass means when the pedal is not engaged, your signal passes through uneffected.....it doesen't suck out your tone like some pedals do. I've had one since they came out, and love it, but if I was to buy one now, I'd get the little brother without the amp modeling.

7. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio

so is the only difference between the gt-6b and the little brother (me-50b), that it has this amp modeling? Also since you have one, how hard is it to use? like can you switch modes easily while playing with the foot switches or is it more complicated than that?

thanks,
    - david.

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the me-50b is smaller and lighter than the gt-6b.
    The me-50b is less programmable than the gt-6b, there aren't as many options per effect as the gt-6b. Having said that, I've found more usable sounds on the me-50b, and find it more intuitive to use than the gt.
    YMMV.

9. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The GT-6B is easy for me, it has to be....I'm a idiot ;) I don't use the stock patches on anything I use, I just start from scratch, and build ones I need.

10. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    hey jerry is there a bass tuner on the boss gt-6b? 'cause i need a tuner too, and i'd be nice to kill two birds with one stone.

11. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    It has a good tuner......the only bad thing, and this goes for reading the presets too, they are hard to read if you have a outside gig in sunlight :eek:

12. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    thanks jerry. I think i may be a little out of tune, bought my bass in november of last year and never got around to buying a tuner, i know how to tune it to the E string but that only works if the e is in tune, lol.

13. so nobody likes the bnx3?
    it looks kind of cool to me, but i've never tried one...

Charlie

14. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    The GT-6B also has Midi - the ME-50B dosn't.

I haven't tried the BNX3 but I think I would choose that one.

Simply because of the looper function, the harddisk recording and the ability to use memory cards to store loops or whatever.

15. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I think you will see the GT-6B start coming down in price, or just sold at blowouts. Just like the Digitech BP8 did a few years ago. The Gt-6b has been out for three years, and that's about the shelf life on these kind of units. You already see it happening with the Roland V-Bass.

16. yeah, thats what i have3 been looking at. i have been talking to Maurice Carr who has put some samples of the bnx3 on the pedal sample page, and also talknig to him about the fact that you can use those 8 tracks as a looper, and i f you get a nice 256mb smartdisk, you can really go to town with looping!

so what can the GT-6B do that i am missing as far as looping is concerned? what is the loop time and how many tracks?

Charlie

17. CAPTBLOODLOSS

CAPTBLOODLOSS

Aug 12, 2004
    Hiyee!
    ugh, i read on Harmony central that the gt6b didnt have all that great wah what do you think jerry?

18. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The only Wha I would use would be a autowha, or filter. The Boss pedals suck at wha's and synth's, so I wasn't expecting to use it for those kind of things, I have a Line6 filter pedal for that. I just needed something for chorus/ delays/ distortions etc that I could program for different songs. I used a Digitech BP8 before, and it was ok, but sucked some tone out :eek: But to answer your question.....yeah the wha and filters kind of suck on it IMHO :cool:

19. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    The stock patches on the GT-6B sounded crappy when I tried it but I've heard that some guys are programming their own patches that sound great (hearsay).

The BNX3 had very good synth sounds but the unit was noisy and seemed to be designed by a lead guitarist - tons of distorted guitar patches. If looping is your main thing then the BNX3 has to be it unless you want an Echoplex and separate bass FX.

The ME-50B had the best modulation FX by far - the Phaser is awesome. The distortions and overdrives are the first I have heard that I would actually use - I really liked them. For strictly bass FX, I say ME-50B. I may get one unless I go for the V-Bass which is a whole new realm.

Tom H.