Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss GT-6B vs. Digitech BNX3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lenko, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Digitech BNX3

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. Boss GT-6B

19 vote(s)
    59.4%
  1. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Which one would you choose and why? What are pros and cons?
    Thanks

2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I own the Boss GT-6B, and I've been pretty pleased with it overall. Haven't tried the Digitech.

Pro's: The effects are all usable with the exception on a few useless ones (Ring modulator and Fretless simulator come to mind), and you can configure and route them in a number of ways. The unit is pretty flexible overall, and is not too bad in the Ergonomics Department. The unit is quiet, and has a pretty good bypass that doesn't seem to color the pure sound of the bass too much.

Con's: The amp simulations are horrific, but then again, IMHO I've never heard a "Modeler" (from anybody) that sounds as good as the real thing. These are probably the worst of the bunch though... Personally, I think it operates a lot smoother by using a midi controller to switch banks.

FWIW, some people here really despise multi-effects. Be prepared.... :p

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Haven't tried the digitiech unit, but the GT-6B is a pretty good unit.

If you're interested, I'm selling mine - as soon as I find the instruction manaul. Turns out I don't use effects as much as I thought I did!

4. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I've heard the GT6B distorts with an active bass on all the presets. Do you know if this is true? not a huge deal as i ould program my own anyway, but it seems kid of a pain to get started with. Anyone know the deal?

5. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    I have one and it DOES distort with an active bass...but it is ONLY the presets...BTW mine is for sale too in Toronto...killer unit but I just don't use any of the FX other than the tuner....

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Well, mine does not distort with an active bass! I use both my Spectors at 18v and they are find with the presets!

Mine is still for sale ,owners manula has now been found!

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i wouldn't leave home without my gt-6b, for the second time today!

;)

8. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003

How much you asking?

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I've had my Boss GT-6B since they came out, and I still really like it! I always build my own patches and haven't had any distortion problems.
    It's true by-pass, and that's a big plus for me.

10. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Does the GT-6B Have a Loop station and or a drum machine built into it? Or does it have an 8 track recorder built into it? If the GT-6B do have these items, then I think that the Boss would be ahead. But if it doesn't, those few effects are what really perk the BNX3 above the GT-6b to me and the fact that they are on sale at Guitar Center for $299 right now. Take a look.

11. lo lio

lo lio

Apr 10, 2003
    FRANCE 78930
    Yep,
    i don't try the Boss so...
    but i've got the BNx3 and i 'm very happy to have it. It's got a 8 track recorder (thaht's why i 've bought it) which is very very easy to use (with the foot, you don't have to put down your bass) i record my guitar on it and my drum machine (the built in drum machine is...huum... C'est pas ça quoi.). You can Re amp your recorded line with another effect, another head, another cab. I think i'm not a good bassist but i like to play bass and with the bnx3 i think i can progress by hearing my fault.

12. Gianni

Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    Hi to everyone.
    A am an italian bassist and this is my first post.

I have owned a Boss GT6-B for more than one year and now I own a Digitech bnx3.
    Despite the lack of important features (many of which are lacked also by the digitech) the Boss is a nice piece of equipment, but the Digitech sounds better and works better in many departments.

In particular:

...............GT6-B...BNX3
    Distortion.....6-....8
    Synth.............6.....8
    Compression....6.....6+

About compression, I have to say that the boss has 4 types, but does not have dual band compression that I consider a must for bass guitar. I only gave 6+ to the BNX due to the lack of input and compression metering.

In the other fields the machines are compareable.

I particulary use distortion with octaver and synth. In this field the digitech sound much better: 8. The boss reaches a 6: it lacks something, it seems derived from a guitar effect.

In general the Boss allows you to tweek more parameters and also to put the various effect in the place you want in the effect chain, but the parameters controls are less effective and the positioning do not contribute very much to the final result.

The expression pedal is by far more versatile on the BNX3, and this is very effective.

Both the machines do not have input metering. Both the machines do not have external gain control and overall tone controls, useful to eliminate the need for a preamp (the cheaper zoom 3000B has both), but in this compartment the digitech has a biamp capability the boss does not have.

The loop capability of the boss are poor.
    The zoom 3000B allows you to change preset while looping, the boss not, while the digitech needs an external switch, but allows track superimposing.

The amp simulation in the digitech is more flexible, although I do not consider this very important.

The BNX3 has an 8 track recorder and a drum machine, the GT6-B don't.

That's all
    Bye!
    Gianni

13. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    THANKS! I THINK THAT THAT IS THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE UNBIASED OPINION I'VE READ AS A COMPARISON OF THE TWO.

14. Ive had a GT-6B for about a year now, and im selling it, and i cant think of one reasons why i would keep it.

1. The parameters do distort with an active bass, ive changed many of them but the soul quality is comprimised

2. The presets are pretty poor in terms of sound quality compared to the standalone pedals (such as oct, reverb, distortion)

3. The distortion is absoultely dreadful, reminds me of a marshall Guvnor pedal, just adds a layer of noise..

4. The compressor is good but will never be as good as a designated pedal or rack

5. Sound just drops out the bass dissappears, then when u knock down one patch and back again the sound comes back again. Ive have checked all the connections with a voltmeter not problems.

This is my first experience with multi-effects and never again will i go bk to them. You just cant beat individual pedals designed to do a specific job. Boss do make a great range of standalone pedals and the Overdrive for bass is effective.. the same overdrive on the GT-6B sound nothing like the standalone pedal.

if you want great pedals theres only one route to go down

EBS

I have just taken delivery of an EBS MultiDrive pedal..and it sound fantasic and no problems with overloading the inputs open the pedal up you can alter input and out levels with a flathead screwdriver..

The digitech, this is how I see it

Analouge Bass
    Analouge Head
    Analouge Cabs
    Analouge Pedals