Boss GT-6B vs. Roland V-Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lockout, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Roland V-Bass

9 vote(s)
  2. Boss GT-6B

7 vote(s)
  1. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Hi :)

I'm not a regular reader of the Effects forum, so if this has already been discussed, (I'm sure it already has, but my searches didn't really come up with anything useful) so just bear with me here. ;)

If you read the Amps forum, you might know that I'm currently putting together a new (Aguilar) rig. Over the past few days, however, I've been looking at effects. I'm looking for a pedal that I can use to create various effects (synth, wah, overdrive, chorus, flanger, etc) when I need them. Mainly I've been looking at the Boss GT-6B and the Roland V-Bass (I'm aware the V-Bass is more than twice the price of the Boss, but I'm hoping I can find one used for around $500-600.) Is the V-Bass worth it?

My band does a lot of mellow dark rock/metal, and I'd like to invest in one of these pedals. Sadly, I don't really know much about effects pedals for bass, so could anyone offer me some feedback or suggestions of which I should go with or if I should get something different altogether? :)
  2. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    by the sounds of things the GT6b would be better for you. The GT6B is and out-and-out fx processer, with a few amp models thrown in for good measure. Whereas the V-bass is exaclt what it says it is, virtual bass. Then main trick with this baby and bass and amp modeling, with a few quality effect thrown in. So you can use a midi pickup and have a Fender bass sound, Ricky, Stingray, upright, synths, resonators, and alternate tunings, all at the press of a button. It can be used with a regular bass and guitar lead, and just make use of the amp models and fx, but that's only ussing half the unit, which is practicaly the same stuff as what's in the GT6B.
    I have the GT6B, and i'm certainly not dissapointed, i keep on finding new uses for fx i never thought I'n need (I mean, harmonist on a bass? well i can now play the organ intro on Hotel California).

Oh, yes the GT6B does all the fx you mention, even the synth. It tracks quite well, and is quite versatile and tweakable for varied sounds. Just watch your technique (muting), don't even think about playing more than one note at once!
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I own the V-Bass, and have used it as an effects unit only a few times. It's a bit of overkill to buy it for this use though, if you're not seriously interested in the modelling etc of the V-Bass your needs will be covered just as well by the GT6B, or even a less costly unit. You also have to have the ugly-as-sin external pickup and control unit stuck to the face of your bass to use all features of the V-Bass. Silly as it may seem this is a major issue. Until an internal pickup kit is available, or an RMC piezo-equipped bass is affordable I predict many V-Bass owners will only use the V-Bass at home or in the studio...
  4. I have a Vbass. The Vbass provides very realistic model tones. You can make you bass sound like a rick, EBO, Jacos fretless bass, etc. You can make a regular bass sound fretless, or provide very realistic synth sounds (tracks great too). It however is a really pricey effects box, and honestly not as easy to change or manipulate as an effect box, but the effects are good. I've seen used Vbasses and B grade Vbasses going for 650-700 USD

Anders- the GK-2b internal kit is already available ( i bought one). However the only thing that goes in your control cavity is the controller. The long ugly pickup stays out and you have to make 6 new holes in the bass for control knobs and switches.
  5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Yes, I've seen some reports, and I'm not too impressed unfortunately. I think the nicest way to go is piezo pickups, but it's very expensive. I toyed with the idea of building a dedicated bass (piezo pickups and V-Bass controller only) but lost interest. For various reasons my V-Bass unit has been sitting unused in a bag for ages, I should sell it.

6. tenbellies

Dec 17, 2003
    If you were going to go for the GT-6B, and buy a tasty amp, do you need the amp modelling it provides. I am waiting keenly for the ME-50B which has all the effects in a slightly different interface, but non of the amp modelling that I know I wont use! It is worth thinking about.

Ps if you take my advice I think I deserve a bit of commission on the money that you will save!