Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss GT-6B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Harrod182, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Harrod182

Harrod182

May 2, 2004
    hi,
    i have an Ampeg CL and an Orange OBC 410 cab and was wondering if there is much point getting a multi effects pedal because i want to keep the tone and sound i have but just add like chorus bit of distortion and a few others but every pedal i look at the GT-6b as an exmple have cab models and amp head settings but i want to keep mine as i already have a tube head so can you turn these parts off or should i just not bother with effects? :meh: :confused:

2. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Well, if you only need a few effects, you could buy single effects pedals, or if you really want a multi-FX pedal, the Boss ME-50B gets really good reviews here. It doesn't have amp or cab modelling.

Graeme :)

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    You can turn the amp models off in the GT-6B, but like BassGod said the ME50B has all the effects without the amp models and is $100 cheaper so you might want to go with it.

4. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Its hard to tell what you need when you're starting to look at effects. It must be a Biznatch to layer effects playing live with pedals. I would figure you'd be able to SAVE a hell of a lot of preset effect combinations and with specific tweaking for various songs on your playlists which would be easy. I just don't see how you can manage 7 pedals, layering effects, volumes, stepping on which one etc while playing live.
    I was considering the Boss GT6-B for that reason, Saved layered effects with one stomp. Or maybe I'm way off! :rollno:

I can buy one of these used for $305 in good shape tommorow. Good deal? Worth it?

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I think I paid $300 for mine (lightly used) with a mint gig bag.

Now for your multi-effects/many effects comparison: unfortunately, it's not that simple. If you have a bunch of effects, you can use one or several depending on what you want to do. You can also switch just one on and off during a song if you need to. OTOH, you can program numerous patches into a multi-effects unit and switch back and forth among them. One advantage of the GT-6B (and probably moreso the ME-50B) is that if you program a patch that has several effects, you can turn some of them on and off individually with the little pedals at the bottom.

I really like my GT-6B. I'm currently using it as a preamp and only using a few of the effects. I like the effects, though I freely admit they're not as tweakable as individual effects. There's enough control for me at this point, and I do use some distortion and chorusing from time to time. I think the unit as a whole is pro-quality; switching is dead silent and none of the effects I've used are noisy.

Do NOT get it for the synth function, it's well known to be crap. :spit:

6. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I tried it today for a good hour at the store, wasn't really impressed. I guess I"m not an effects man. I'll wait and pick up really cheap used pedals but I'm not going to drop a pretty penny for this thing. I thought that I had a little too much hiss with a lot of things. I'm sure if you set it down & really tweak out what you want it wouldn't be bad but it doens't warrant the 400 buck price tag.
    Just my opinion though... haven't been exposed to many players using effects in Maine I guess :bag:

7. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have one and really like it, and I'm not really an effects user. I use it as a preamp so I can have several EQ presets. When I first got it it took a while to learn how to get a good sound, but once you learn how to use the parametric EQ and preamps you can get some really great sounds. I use the SVT model overdriven just a little and it really warms up my solid state amp.

It is a lot of money for what I use it for, but it works great so it was worth it to me.

8. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    i recently bought one about 3 weeks ago and at first i was not sure whether or not i really liked it and all (well the $400 price tag was still fresh in my mind, lol), but after playing around and learning to use it [have a lot left to learn so its a time thing, not just a turn it on and your all ready to use it type of thing], but after using if for a few weeks i really have come to like this unit. Even if i wasn't an effects person (which i really don't use extensively), i would have to say that i love the preamp function on it, the tuner i didn't really care for but thats probably becuase i have a nice new rackmount sabine tuner already. Overall i love the idea of being able to save all kinds of settings into the patch and just switch on the fly between them, i also like the volume pedal that it has--which can also be used for wah and octave functions. best thing though is to not use the built in patches, yeah listen to them but they won't give you a sense of worth with the expense of the unit. You'll appreciate it after playing and using it for a while and finding the sounds that your really like. I also especially like the noise supressor it has built in, its like a night and day difference with the line noise from my ibanez pickups. I however have been looking at this unit for about 6 months now, i didn't buy it back in summer becuase i wanted to be a better bass player first, now that i have established technique and stuff i think this thing has become a nice tool to add.

- David

9. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Better off with 2nd hand pedals off ebay... more control better efftects. I wanted one for a while before I tried it twice at the store for over a hour.

10. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It takes more than an hour to learn how to get a good sound out of it. It took me several days to really grasp what it could do.

11. I agree 100%, it takes even more than 2 hours to read the manual!