Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss GT-6B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SaintAlphonzo, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Any thoughts on this contraption? I use it, but can't say I'm crazy about it. Seems to have a lot of noise, and it's tough to get the levels consistent. Also, difficult to master all the features.

Cheers,

Saint

2. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    Its an OK unit, better than most but not the best. I recently tried the New BassPODxt and liked it alot more. Lots more amp models, not noisy at all (unless you do something that would normally create noise, ie. cranking the gain), and very good fx. The only downside is the floor control is seperate and a little expernsive but built really well.

3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    It's actually a pretty good unit, probably the best floor unit out there IMHO. I use it, and I also use a Boss VF-1 which shares a lot of the same features. Both units are noisy if you use the amp/speaker simulators. My suggestion is to turn them off if you are plugging the unit into an amp.

The key with the GT-6B (and any multi-effect, really) is to take the time to match the levels from patch to patch. The best way (and the most time consuming) is to match each patch individually to the direct sound, and boost or cut to taste. The GT-6B has a global function, but it's really more useful to adjust each patch level. Lotsa great sounds in there, it's just a matter of spending the necessary time with it.

4. hellboy

hellboy

Nov 5, 2002
    I have one and like it a lot. It's basically a big toybox of different effects...it's complex in a good way (lots of options) not in a bad way (awkward operation) - it's actually very straightforward to use. Just focus on one thing at a time.

I don't find it very noisy (I do use the amp and speaker sims), unless I crank the gain or have the compressor set wrong.

Biggest problem with it is that level matching is a PITA. The meter is in one of the menus and has no dB markings. A proper LED meter on the front would be much more convenient.

I thought it blew away the Bass Pod in both sound and features. Haven't heard the PodXT yet though.

5. I had a pod but it just wasn't for me. I traded it in for the GT 6B and what can I say? it's got every effect you could possibly want(within reason). It may require a small degree of rocket science at first but once you know the ins and outs then I think every (live) bassist will fall in love with it. I can't see me selling it for a very very long time.

6. Hey, thanks for all the responses. I actually do like it pretty well, I just need to spend more time with it. I think also I've been wondering if individual pedals are the way to go as opposed to a pedal board. But it does have great sounds, I just need to work it a bit more.

7. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I like mine. It took me a while to figure out how to edit stuff and switch parameters. Onece you figure that out it isn't too bad. I would be easier if everything had knobs, but it exells ad having a ton of stuff in one unit. I found a passable SVT sound on it and I use some effect sparingly. I haven't even scratched the surface on some things.

I am currently trying to come up with a patch using the octaver and/or harmonizer that will help when I could use an electric rythm guitar. I want to be able to play a pumping bass thing while able to add some distorted sound an octave higher and possibly adding a 5th to it. I can't seem to get the 5th to track the best. I need to tweak the distorted sound so it doesn't eat the bottom end or sound cheezy.

I also want a good fretless simulator sound.

8. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    The GT6B is the way to go if your looking to customize your sound. Many effects to overlap. Different amp moldings, sos over dubbing. Just a cool unit altogether. Money worth spending!

MINE MAKES ME HAPPY!! :)

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    IT's a damned fine unit - but unfortunately it does way more than I ever needed and I couldn't justify keeping it! I had actually traded a Bass POD PRo for it and some other gear - the Bass POD was the right toll for the wrong job (a good unit, but not what I needed!)

THe GT-6B was more than the right unit. I didn't have the time to learn how to use it properly, so every time I wanted to do somethingit was back to the manual!

I don't use effects much, so it's back to a few choice stomp boxes for me!

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i just haven't had the time to really get to know my gt6b. i never leave home without it! i use it for a tuner right now ( :rolleyes: )

i just need to sit down and program

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

That's exactly what I did with it - use it as an expensive tuner! Did that for a while - then realised it was too much for me!:)

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I like mine a lot, but I erased the over the top factory presets & built my own. It's true bypass and I like that a lot.......my only problem with it is.......it sucks for outside gigs! It's almost impossible to read the tuner & presets, even in a coverd stage:eek:

13. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    It will seem noisy and have inconsistent levels, id all you do is play with the presets. These have all been designed by some little Japanese sound genius to show off the various effects to their limits, using amp sims (pretty much reduntant if you're using with an amp), and compression (which has to be tailored to the input level of your bass).

Try getting a basic sound without the GT6B which you are happry with. Then add it in and start building patches from scratch. When you have one, you can use this as the basis for another patch, and another. Then levels should be consistent. I have 4 core patches, each with differing EQ settings, but same chorus and wah's etc (tho 1 or 2 fx purely for specific patches). Then I have other patches for special uses in certian songs.

I don't think it's too hard to master, but if you're new to the world of fx then yes it prob is. Time taken to learn how different fx work, and how to get the most out of them would be well spent.

Gripes:
    Floor bases - hate having to squat down to twiddle.
    No fx loop - why oh why oh why? It's on the GT6, why not this. Then I could put pre-preamp fx in front of my amp preamp, and modulation fx etc in the amp fx loop.
    Sticky knobs - Anyone else got this? Sometimes when I try to edit a parameter with one of the knobs, I have to twiddle it back and forth a few times before it respends.

14. hellboy

hellboy

Nov 5, 2002
    Yes. The presets suck. You're better off starting from scratch and building up slowly.

Yep. For someone new to fx it's like jumping in the deep end. On the other hand, they'll have lots of room to grow.

Yeah. I like having a floorboard for live performance, but it's a pain to change stuff. I usually sit on the floor when I'm tweaking, with my guitar in my lap.

An external MIDI controller (Peavey PC-1600 or Kensington Control Freak) on a desk might help.

I miss this too. There are some weird differences between the GT6 and the B. The B seems better designed in a couple areas (particularly the interface) but lacks the fx loop. I guess they figured most bassists would consider the GT to be overkill. Which for most people it probably is, but still. I'm not most people!

I could have done without some of the fx - AutoSlap is a joke, and the Sound-on-Sound is too short to really be useful. More tweakability of the amp sims (as on the GT6 or in the distortion models), or modelled choruses would have been nice to have instead.

Is it new? The knobs might need breaking in. Or check your settings for knob mode, I think there's a way to choose whether the knobs respond instantly or have to be turned through the stored value first.

15. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    The main deal with the GT6b as far as I've found is that to love it you need to get to know it more than anything. There's phenomenal scope for producing bad tones from this beast and to be honest it took me at least a month before I started to consider that I might not have made a mistake. 9 months on and I can say that I'm starting to get to grips with it, but no,I still don't know everything it does. Hell it took me 2 months to start to realise that the synth is actually usable (in conjunction with other settings), and another couple of months after that before realizing how awesomely powerful
    it really is.
    - It's an instrument in it's own right and you need to learn how to play it.

The preamp selections are far from perfect the
    even compression less so . The lack of fx loop utterly mystifying and so I'd say this isn't the right instrument for anyone attempting to emulate their idol on the cheap.

I use it for (whisper it quietly here...)electronic oriented hip-hop, dub, techno.... whatever you want to call it. One thing for certain, it's definately not rock. For those projects I leave it at home as for the most part it just doesn't seem necessary. Like somebody already mentioned though if you want to make new sounds. Give it a whirl you might love it as much as I do.
    Tom (sponsored by ROLAND).