1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss GT6-B info?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cutty, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    Who uses the Boss GT6-B directly into a power amp?could you give me some info on how this setup works/sounds?thanks.

2. nbtone

nbtone

May 13, 2008
    Marketing Exec. Newbasstone, Inc
    Are you talking about plugging into the sound board of a PA? I plug right into a bass head if that's what you mean.

3. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    Hi,i mean plugging the GT6-B right into a power amp,and using the power amp to power your backline speakers,so not having a bass head at all.

4. FbassDave

FbassDave

May 29, 2005
    South Oz
    I did this for a while, into a Crown XLS 602 or a Crest CA6. I didn't do it for long - in principle it seemed like a great idea but in practice, it took FOR EVER to gain match all of the patches I was using, and the end results didn't really justify the effort for me - Using the GT6B as a front-end provided sufficient gain to drive both power amps to their full potential and the convenience factor of pre-programmed patches was great, but the sound was thin and the various tones I had programmed in were kind of unconvincing and a bit plasticky, lacking dynamics, impact and "life"... I compared this setup to running from the GT6B into a Yamaha PB1 (SS) or a Trace Elliot Vtype (tube) dedicated rack preamp, and in both cases the it just sounded better than the GT6B on it's own. Of course, you can get into some pretty deep editing with this unit and it may have been a lack of patience or aptitiude on my part :) If you're going to do it, a good quality compressor or some other sort of (Non-EQ) signal processing like an Aphex or BBE unit before the power section would have been of benefit in my experience... IMHO, YMMV etc...

5. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    +1 ... my experience exactly.

Excellent description, FbassDave.

Outstanding post.

:D

6. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    Thankyou for the info,that's just what i wanted to know,cheers!

7. nbtone

nbtone

May 13, 2008
    Marketing Exec. Newbasstone, Inc
    I wouldn't recommend that kind of a setup. Some (or most) bass heads have a direct in output that should be used. The GT 6B is an effects processor and needs the bass head to complete the patch. You could use a sans amp, too.