Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by david_l_perry, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Anybody used this effects unit with Bass ?
    Any problems known..
    Cheers In advance
    Found plenty of reviews on harmony central, but mainly for guitar and not bass

Cheers, Dave
  2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

<b>I have one, what do you want me to test for you? It seemed lacking in front end headroom when I tried it with my active bass, but I didn't test it too thoroughly. Do you intend to use it as a standalone preamp, or in an EFX loop? I can tell you that it works much better for guitar with a tube preamp inserted in the EFX loop of the GX-700.<b>
  3. Cheers for the reply
    It is for use either in the effects loop of my SWR Grand Prix Pre amp or front end of the grand Prix (dependant on which sounds best)

Currently My VF-1 is wired so that I plug my Bass straight into the front of the boss unit and then from the VF-1 output into the input of my amp (just as though it was an effects pedal)

I am assuming that there is no radical signal reduction with the GX-700 if I run it this way ? (ie as an in line effects unit)

One other thing- with my VF-1, when I change patches, their is a very short total signal drop out. Does the GX-700 suffer this same odd characteristic.

I have just found one used since posting and am awaiting delivery

Many thanks in advance
  4. Passinwind

<b>OK, I just spent 90 minutes trying to dial this thing in for my bass. I think I'm going to put it into my bass rack for a while, and forget about using it for guitar. I should mention that all these comments pertain to fretless bass, I don't own or play any fretted ones.

It has plenty of output (rated +4 dBm nominal) to drive my Hafler power amp to clipping, so throttling in an EFX loop or as a front end should be no problem. As I remembered, headroom is lacking using the guitar input and my active bass (Bart pre), but was adequate in passive mode with Bart soapbars. No worries here, I just plugged my bass straight into the EFX return, and patched the LOOP as the first thing in the signal chain. You can patch any effect anywhere in the chain, which is really useful. You could easily build or buy a pad to attenuate the active bass input externally, if needed. Plenty of makeup gain is available, at mutiple places in the signal chain.

I started with just a clean Twin model, nothing else; no speaker emulation, nothing. This works great. Then I tried just the EQ module, which works equally well as a clean preamp. The mid band is fully parametric, so the EQ module's reasonably flexible.

Next, I tried chorus and delay, both of which were quieter than my Rocktron Intellifex, unless the Hush feature is engaged (I always use the noise reduction on the Intellifex). Plenty of cool sounds to be had, I could live with just this unit, I think. The Rocktron does throttle signal in many applications; in my experience, it works best in a loop. The GX-700 chorus has low and high cut filters, which is great for bass. Auto-wah works OK; not my favorite, but it works as it should, and is plenty programmable. My expression pedal needs a tuneup, but manual wah should be OK too. There's capability to control various other functions with the pedal, but I haven't RTFM yet on that one.

Now, the cool part: distortion. There are lots of overdrive emulations, and they all sound quite different. Controlled (or uncontrolled) feedback is easily achievable, and you can patch the EQ module after the distortion, which is sweet. I found that the Soldano overdrive model works really well for fuzz bass, huge sound.

The compressor and noise reduction seem kind of bogus, but maybe the limiter mode on the compressor would be worthwhile. I didn't need noise reduction, which surprised me, as I always use it with guitar. There are more features, like the pitch shifter, that I didn't mess with yet. Perhaps I'll write up a full review after I suss the rest of this unit.

The speaker emulation might be handy for some, but I like my cabs in their natural state. Patch shifting has no annoying delay, it's pretty seamless using the footswitch input. I left the MIDI functions for another day, but there's very comprehensive MIDI implementation on this unit.

I don't know if the GX-700 will drive my PLX 2402 to clipping, the QSC is at the club right now. Outputs are unbalanced, but you can't have everything, eh?

In sum, this works way better than I anticipated as a bass preamp/EFX unit. I'll update with a gig report next week, and mess with some of my tube preamps to see how they work together with the GX.

Hope things work out as well for you.

----Charlie Escher
  5. Many thanks Charlie

Will look forward to receiving my unit and let you know how I go on.

6. Passinwind

<b> I spent a good bit more time, and found the wah and pitch shifter/harmonizer features to be pretty useable too. I now definitely intend to replace the Intellifex in my rack with this, and maybe do away with my homemade preamp as well, in some sitauations. Probably I'll use both preamps though, and set one up for each of my fretlesses.

Take a look here:

There is a Windows editor available for the GX-700, which I have but have never used. The unit is really easy to program manually though.

.cE </b>
  7. :(
    Just finished a night of messing with my newly aquired Boss GX700 (to go in my backup rig)

The input gain from my active basses (Status Graphite 18v active) is just way to high, even with the Input level all the way down the clip light still comes on. Fine with passive instruments but it just can't handle the hot active output. My main rig Boss VF-1 has no such problems

The other thing is that the Built in Tuner struggles to cope with a low B string of my 5 string, even using pinched harmonics. A bit dissapointed, but it was a gamble worth trying out at the right price.

Boo Hoo:bawl: , off to ebay you will go.
    Must keep searching for another VF-1.

Many thanks for the reply Passinwind

Have a good christmas to all you US TB's !!

8. Passinwind

The input gain from my active basses (Status Graphite 18v active) is just way too high, even with the Input level all the way down the clip light still comes on. Fine with passive instruments but it just can't handle the hot active output. My main rig Boss VF-1 has no such problems

Dave, re-read my initial review on the hot input issue. Just set the LOOP up as the first module in your signal chain, set it to SERIES, and plug your bass right into the EFX return jack, bypassing the first stage completely. You don't need that first stage, just think of the EFX return as an "active" input. Just set the LOOP gain to wherever you need it to be. Alternately, you could buy/build a 10- or 20 dB attenuator pad.

One of my basses runs off +/- 15 volts, and it's fine running this way. My other bass is 9V, no problem at all, even with big boosts on the EQ.

The tuner didn't work for me either, but I prefer my little Boss TU-12
    by far anyway; the built-in tuner isn't that great for guitar anyway.

I stil haven't gigged with the GX-700, but I've tweaked out about 10 really good bass patches now. I got the expression pedal sussed, Roland wires theirs backwards from everyone else. Sorry it's not working out for you. I'll still post a gig report once I get it into the club. The holidays are making things unpredictable, but hopefully that'll be early next week. I should be doing some recording with my drummer in the next few days, and I'll post a few clips of the GX as soon as I do that.

----Charllie Escher
  9. yansdgr

Feb 22, 2008
    i have the boss gx700 whit my bass thats an active pickup bass and the high its way too much but you cant balance the output and your amp eq and thats son great more like alain caron style for slap thats realy sound great and i keep up evry time i go to a gig
  10. 5 year bump...and I wish I understood what you just said :(
  11. mtomlins

Feb 8, 2009
    I have Hartke 3500 head and an old GX-700 - I think it's time to make a marriage?