Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

boss heavy metal 2 vs. pro co rat

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Sep 13, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    which do you all think is better? do they sound similar? ive got a rat but im really thinking of giving it up for an HM-2. hoping the HM-2 holds bottom a little better and sounds a little like the rat. all feeback welcomed.

2. righto, ive never played through a proco rat....but i have an old boss HM-2 Heavy metal (not the metal zone) but what sold me on the HM-2 is not only the fuzzy goodness it holds but how well it holds the low end, i use my KSD 70's 5er in passive 95% of the time and i boosted the bass eq on the pedal to full the first time i used it and it actually boosted my low end....its a great pedal, i have that and an ibanez ts10 in my signal chain...great to have an od and distortion on hand

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    so you use the HM-2 for distortion then? it does fuzz up a little though huh? thanks for the help.

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You may want to look into Robert Keeley's mod for the Rat. It supposedly retains the low end.

5. it fuzzes up insanely, and slightly, depends on how you set it...id compare it to rhonda smiths use of fuzz with prince.....

but the most important thing is that it makes me feel all fuzzy inside :smug:

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ive thought about it. but i dont know. unless i can hear it or play it before hand then i really dont want to.

7. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I've tried a couple of these with bass now, you really need to hear them to believe how well they hold the bottom end. The only thing that vexes me is how they run off the old-style Boss ACA adapters. By the way, I have the Godlyke PA-1, does anyone know if those can power an ACA pedal?

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Which pedal are you talking about?

9. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Look for the old (early 90s) Zoom Driver 5000 pedal. Very similar to the HM and Metal Zone, though with more tonal options, a lot more low end, and a pretty nice built in noise gate (adjustable and defeatable), plus you can use an external momentary switch to get two presets plus bybass. A real sleeper pedal that's great on bass and guitar.

10. the hm-2 was introduced in 82....and i think was discontinued by the early 90's...or replaced by the metal zone

11. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    The Boss HM-2, the ones I've tried all say they run on the ACA adapter.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dan, you can always have that ACA adapter swithed out for a newer Boss style adapter. I'm sure that Robert Keeley would do it. www.robertkeeley.com

13. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    can i just point out that the RED CROSS didnt have a very good record of getting the donated moneys to the 9/11 victims/familys emjazz

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for pointing that out.

Oh, and you're the heckler over at the Nordstrad Jazz posting? Great to have you here!

15. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    yes thats moi! but you didnt reply to my post to you about Entiene Mbappe , i see him a lot here in Paris amongst others.