Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BOSS Hyper Metal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SystemofatooL, Jan 10, 2002.

1. SystemofatooL

SystemofatooL

Dec 15, 2001
    Sydney
    i also play guitar as well as bass, and have been wanting to get a guitar pedal thats fairly cheap but decent, most people seem to think that multi-efect units arent very good quality for various reasons.

yesterday i was looking at the site for a local music shop and i saw a boss hyper metal pedal (and mostly, people seem to like boss pedals) for under 100AUD (bout 50 bucks US).

i have read a couple of reviews on this pedal, some say good, others are kinda indifferent, i was wondering if anyone here has triede one, or knows anything bout them that might help

thanks.

2. heard its pretty good for guitar if thats the kind of raging screeching distortion you need and i have even seen a few people use them for bass even though i wouldnt recommend it since it completely destroys your lows. If you want to get a relatively cheap unit for bass and guitar i would recommend the boss bass overdrive. It isnt MY favorite for bass but it will give a really good heavy distortion with a decent amount of lows and it also sounds really really good on guitar. :)

3. The Hyper Metal is good if you play with lots of highs, but otherwise you should get the Metal Zone, which is almost the same except the metal zone handles lows alot better.

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I agree with Jrthebassguy ... I have a Hyper Metal, and it's great for guitar but it sounds thin on my basses.

5. metal zone on bass = bad

I barrowed my friends metal zone, and decided to try it on my bass as well... it sounded like i was playing a guitar. No matter what i did, the lows got eaten up.

I've found that the Mesa/boogie V-twin did a really good job of not cutting out the lows. downside? it will pull you for a good $300

6. SystemofatooL

SystemofatooL

Dec 15, 2001
    Sydney
    thanks for the advice, i probably will go with the hyper metal seeing as though i mainly want it for my guitar.