1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss Line Selector + Discumbobulator HELP

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by C-5KO, Aug 23, 2005.

1. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I have my Discumbobulator going through channel A in my Boss Line Selector.

When selecting just channel A it sounds fine - with or without the discumbobulator engaged.

When selecting A + B, without the Discumbobulator engaged, the bass sounds fines (sound from both A, and B channel).

BUT: :help: When I engage the Discumbobulator in this mode (A + B), the signal drops drastically (almost half). :help:

What would be the possible explanation for this? My levels for A + B channels I've left alone. I find it very odd? I've set up an OC3 infront of the DisBOB, to see if there is something wrong with channel A.

No problems. Channel A by itself, with or without OC3, same volume. Channel A + B, with or without OC3, same volume levels.

Here is something even stranger. With the OC3 engaged infront of the DisBOB engaged, the volume level is normal. If I disengage the OC3, the volume is half again?!?!?

How is it that in A+B mode, the Discumbobulator cuts my signal??? HELP! :help:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    what's in b?

isn't a + b mode a parallel mix, that you can use to blend wet/dry? If you have nothing in b, maybe that's why. What are you trying to do?

3. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    David to the rescue:

Ok. Basically I have to separate channels. Should I be calling them channels? Anyways, A and B.

"A" consists of OC3, EH Microsynth, and newly added Discumbobulator.

"B" consists of a bunch of EBS pedals (distortion, octave, IQ etc).

Originally I had the Q-tron instead of the DisBOB.

SO:

What I would like to do, (and it was working before with the Q-Tron), is have TWO separate signals. One wet, and one dry.

For example, A channel could be wet DisBOB, and channel B would be dry. Or, I could run channel A dry, while channel B could have the EBS overdrive going.

When I engage the LS, A+B (on), I'm able to turn on any effect in channel A, while still having a clean signal in channel B.

To answer your question, Yes. I have nothing in B, so a clean signal is present. And the A signal is very very weak. So, for some reason, engaging the DisBOB, the A signal is drastically cut. BUT if I try the same with any other pedal (EH, OC3), the signal isn't cut. I still get regular clean B, plus effects on A - normal signal level. Only with the DisBOB does this happen.

Is it possible that somehow the DisBOB is putting my A and B signals out of phase? If so, how is it that when the DisBOB, and the OC3 are both active, the A level is normal?

SO, I thought the problem was just the DisBOB, and the LS pedal together. So, I tried just the DisBOB engaged with the LS selecting just the A channel (not A+B), and the level was fine. A + B, and DisBOB together the signal is weaker.

Thanks in advance for your help! This one's really bugging me.

PS: I've had a unrelated yet similar problem when recording two bass lines at the same time into Protools. I would plug into my SansAMP BDDI, XLR going to MBox, second out of SansAMP going to Avalon U5. Avalon XLR going to MBox. I would then record the same bassline to two different tracks, one from the U5, one from the SansAMP. This also results in a phased signal.

4. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    On a seperate note... how does the Emma compare to the Q-tron? I've been wanting to replace the Q with the Emma, but just haven't been able to yet.

5. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Because of the problem I'm facing, I'm leaning back towards the Q-Tron. Both sounds fine though, if I had to compare them to eachother. The Emma is more fine-tunable, plus it uses a regular 9V, and it's smaller also. I haven't tried a mini Qtron, or the MuTron either. I do have an EBS BassIQ, which is also a great pedal. very easy to use.

6. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    i dont know what the Discumbobulator is, but maybe it inverts the phase of your signal, so it makes a LOT of the frequancys to cancel the ones in A with the ones in B.

try this if you can: divide the signal into A and B, and do not return to the LS-2, but enter a 2 channel recorder (stereo input of your pc maybe?) and then for listening inver the phase of 1 channel (anyone, just 1)

or get any device that can invert phase and do it befor the effect return

7. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    The pedal is an envelope filter. That's what I'm guessing happens. I didn't realize that they made phase signal inverters? I'm going to check that up right now.

Thanks!

8. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

im not 100% surer here, but maybe if you solder a cable backcuards it inverts the phase, so if this works MAYBE you have 1 cable soldered backwards, and when used alone the difference is unnotisable.

(or maybe is a pedal that invert phase ...........................or maybe im wrong and the problem is another)