Boss Line Selector + Discumbobulator HELP

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by C-5KO, Aug 23, 2005.

1. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I have my Discumbobulator going through channel A in my Boss Line Selector.

When selecting just channel A it sounds fine - with or without the discumbobulator engaged.

When selecting A + B, without the Discumbobulator engaged, the bass sounds fines (sound from both A, and B channel).

BUT: :help: When I engage the Discumbobulator in this mode (A + B), the signal drops drastically (almost half). :help:

What would be the possible explanation for this? My levels for A + B channels I've left alone. I find it very odd? I've set up an OC3 infront of the DisBOB, to see if there is something wrong with channel A.

No problems. Channel A by itself, with or without OC3, same volume. Channel A + B, with or without OC3, same volume levels.

Here is something even stranger. With the OC3 engaged infront of the DisBOB engaged, the volume level is normal. If I disengage the OC3, the volume is half again?!?!?

How is it that in A+B mode, the Discumbobulator cuts my signal??? HELP! :help:
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    what's in b?

isn't a + b mode a parallel mix, that you can use to blend wet/dry? If you have nothing in b, maybe that's why. What are you trying to do?
  3. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    David to the rescue:

Ok. Basically I have to separate channels. Should I be calling them channels? Anyways, A and B.

"A" consists of OC3, EH Microsynth, and newly added Discumbobulator.

"B" consists of a bunch of EBS pedals (distortion, octave, IQ etc).

Originally I had the Q-tron instead of the DisBOB.

What I would like to do, (and it was working before with the Q-Tron), is have TWO separate signals. One wet, and one dry.

For example, A channel could be wet DisBOB, and channel B would be dry. Or, I could run channel A dry, while channel B could have the EBS overdrive going.

When I engage the LS, A+B (on), I'm able to turn on any effect in channel A, while still having a clean signal in channel B.

To answer your question, Yes. I have nothing in B, so a clean signal is present. And the A signal is very very weak. So, for some reason, engaging the DisBOB, the A signal is drastically cut. BUT if I try the same with any other pedal (EH, OC3), the signal isn't cut. I still get regular clean B, plus effects on A - normal signal level. Only with the DisBOB does this happen.

Is it possible that somehow the DisBOB is putting my A and B signals out of phase? If so, how is it that when the DisBOB, and the OC3 are both active, the A level is normal?

SO, I thought the problem was just the DisBOB, and the LS pedal together. So, I tried just the DisBOB engaged with the LS selecting just the A channel (not A+B), and the level was fine. A + B, and DisBOB together the signal is weaker.

Thanks in advance for your help! This one's really bugging me.

PS: I've had a unrelated yet similar problem when recording two bass lines at the same time into Protools. I would plug into my SansAMP BDDI, XLR going to MBox, second out of SansAMP going to Avalon U5. Avalon XLR going to MBox. I would then record the same bassline to two different tracks, one from the U5, one from the SansAMP. This also results in a phased signal.
  4. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    DR Strings
    On a seperate note... how does the Emma compare to the Q-tron? I've been wanting to replace the Q with the Emma, but just haven't been able to yet.
  5. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Because of the problem I'm facing, I'm leaning back towards the Q-Tron. Both sounds fine though, if I had to compare them to eachother. The Emma is more fine-tunable, plus it uses a regular 9V, and it's smaller also. I haven't tried a mini Qtron, or the MuTron either. I do have an EBS BassIQ, which is also a great pedal. very easy to use.
  6. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    i dont know what the Discumbobulator is, but maybe it inverts the phase of your signal, so it makes a LOT of the frequancys to cancel the ones in A with the ones in B.

try this if you can: divide the signal into A and B, and do not return to the LS-2, but enter a 2 channel recorder (stereo input of your pc maybe?) and then for listening inver the phase of 1 channel (anyone, just 1)

or get any device that can invert phase and do it befor the effect return
  7. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    The pedal is an envelope filter. That's what I'm guessing happens. I didn't realize that they made phase signal inverters? I'm going to check that up right now.

8. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004

im not 100% surer here, but maybe if you solder a cable backcuards it inverts the phase, so if this works MAYBE you have 1 cable soldered backwards, and when used alone the difference is unnotisable.

(or maybe is a pedal that invert phase ...........................or maybe im wrong and the problem is another)