1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss Line Selector (LS-2) as blender?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by open_space, Apr 28, 2009.

1. I have a question about LS-2: can you use it as blender?

For instance, I have a fuzz pedal (MXR silicon fuzz) that sounds OK, but I think that it might benefit from blending fuzz with my clean tone. Plus this pedal sometimes acts funny when placed before or after other pedals.

So, can I use the LS-2 as blender? Essentially, I want to run my clean channel through the LS-2, then activate the loop with the fuzz and mix it with my clean tone to get more definition and balls. When I don't need the fuzz, I want it in the loop and out of my signal chain.

I know that you could do that with Barge Concepts blenders, but can you do that with LS-2? Boss is just cheaper and I like their switching more than stepping on mechanical switches.

P.S. I read the LS-2 manual and didn't really find any info on blending. It has a mix mode but it got me confused.

2. Scheurijzer

Scheurijzer

Jun 2, 2006
    Perfectly possible. I use it to blend my signal from my MicroSynth with clean bass. Sounds great.

Use the A+B mixed/bypass mode.

Note: you don't have to connect the send with the return to get a clean blend. Just put your effects in one of the two loops (A or B) and leave the other one.

Scheurijzer.

3. Do you then just control the amount of dry signal with volume knobs on LS-2? Or how does it work?

4. jonaX

jonaX

Oct 17, 2008
    yes right, you're then able to control the level of the two signals (clean / effect) by tweaking the two volume knobs. it does really work quite well. but i moved the to the looper from barge concept (it's quite cheap and high quality!)

5. high quailty - yes, probably true. but cheap? it's about $120, while boss is like $80.

6. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    and the boss can be found for 50-60 used without much trouble. The barge (standard) is only a single looper, too, while the LS-2 does 2 parallel channels

7. is parallel better than serial or is it just different?

also, will the LS-2 do the blending job as good as barge looper or for blending it's better to go with barge concepts?

8. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    parallel means both loops will be blended together, rather than loop 1 feeding into loop 2. it's just different. I will admit that serial makes more sense for me.

nothing against the barge - especially since they seem to realize that more people want a second loop than a feedback switch (took 'em long enough) but you should not rule out the Boss, especially since it is cheaper and (arguably) more compact (if these things matter to you)

9. i use mine with my NYC Big Muff, as said above, run it on the A+B mixed/bypass mode, your effect into either A or B and nothing in the other slot and then the 2 volume knobs (red and green) mix the dry signal and the wet signal to what you would like, it saved me getting rid of the bug muff!

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Yes, you can use the LS-2 as a Blender. I've used them before as just that and they work very well. Also nice to have around for their many other uses.

11. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    I prefer my boss over a single loop blender.

The LS-2 gives you two parallel loops that you can bypass at one stomp. I use mine to blend my OD and Fuzz cause I dont like OD>Fuzz.

12. thanks, guys! that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I got the mxr fuzz and I am still debating whether I should keep it or not. I really want to try it with a blend, hopefully LS-2 will give me that.

13. Also, some people are having volume issues with Barge blender. What about volume? Do the volume knobs allow you to control the output volume or just the amount of dry signal?

14. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    i've never heard that - volume is always a consideration with a blended signal.

15. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Mine had intermittent volume drops. Sent it back for repairs, but Geoff found nothing wrong with it. It doesn't do that anymore, so I'm thinking that is was an issue with my [gigantic] effects chain.

I now have the LS-2 as well :)spit: to you Mr. Collins) and use it for series and parallel processing, and blending. The LS-2 can be VERY inspirational once you start combining random pedals in parallel. I've gotten some unique, useable sounds that wouldn't have been possible with my previous set up.

16. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    On the LS-2? They are return volume levels for each loop, so if one (or both) of the loops is active then yes, they change the overall output volume.

It works well. I put my OC-2 in one side of my LS-2 and use the volume knob to give it a bit of boost (it has a little volume loss when the -1 octave voice is soloed).

17. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    FYI, Guitar Center's web site is listing the LS2 for $69.00 new.

18. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    that's a pretty sweet deal. i might pick one up for the weekend and send it back :p

not really so don't give me any crap ok?

19. I just started using the LS-2 and it is a very cool tool. Sometimes I want A/B/Bypass, sometimes I want the A/B mix. For a rather inexpensive pedal it really allows you to combine a lot of effects in different ways.

From what my ears hear when you have the LS-2 in bypass it is just that -true bypass. When I go bypass with the LS-2 or straight into my head there is no noticeable difference in signal or volume.

Very cool, handy tool.

20. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    you know why the signal level is so consistent? precisely because the LS-2 is NOT true bypass!